Beauty and the Beat (8)

“Sadie, darling!” was the first thing I woke up to the next morning, thanks to my youngest older brother. “It’s time to wake up and go to school!”

I didn’t move right away, mostly because I wanted to punch my brothers for waking me up before my alarm went off.

“Sadie,” my oldest brother practically sang now. “You should listen to us, or you’re going to be late.”

Boy, did this remind me of when they still lived with me. Before Johnny went off and got married, and before Riley went off to college. I forgot how much I really didn’t miss them in the morning.

I sat up, shooting them both a death glare. They just grinned at  me, and I wanted nothing more than to just push them out the window right then.

I took my time getting ready, knowing that I had extra time now because Johnny was making my breakfast for me and now I didn’t have to waste time making it myself.

“Do you need a ride?” Johnny asked me as he handed a bagel and a water bottle as I made my way toward the door.

I shook my head. “No, I have to pick up Bennett.”

Johnny shot me a thumbs up just as Riley called out, “Get some!”

I threw my bagel at him, no longer hungry because of his comment. Ever since we were kids, Riley had always thought that Bennett and I had a crush on each other, and whenever he had the chance, he would make fun of us for it.

“I guess making fun of you about Bennett is getting kind of old now, isn’t it?” Riley grinned now as he caught the bagel before it could hit him in the face. “So how about I make fun of you about Maxxon from now on?”

No. Freaking. Way.

I now threw my water bottle at him, but he was easily able to catch that as well. Johnny looked confused, and I felt like strangling Riley right then and there.

“Ethan told me he saw you two kissing last night,” Riley smirked.

Johnny whistled now. “Is there something you want to tell us, Sade?”

I was already angered by this conversation. Glaring at them once more, I turned back toward the door, opening it, and shouted, “I hate you!” before slamming it shut behind me.

I breathed in and out as I got into my car and drove to Bennett’s house. I was so done with talking and thinking about what happened between Maxxon and me that I was glad I was going to be with my best friend.

“So,” was the first thing Bennett said to me when I picked him up the next morning.

I didn't even look at him. “So…”

“Maxxon called me last night,” my best friend informed me now, and I already knew what direction this conversation was going in. And I didn't like it. “He told me a magnificent story and I'm not really sure if I believe him or not.”

I could have denied it, but I was sure that wouldn't be the best idea. Bennett was my best friend, he had been since childhood, and I trusted him more than anyone. He would be the last person to judge me if he found out what had happened between Maxxon and me the night before.

“Well…” I began now, not really knowing how to start. “I'm guessing I know what he said, and if I'm correct, he was right.”

Bennett blinked at me. “What?”

“I went out with Maxxon last night, though I wouldn't call it a date, and we ending up kissing before I went back inside my house,” I informed him quickly now, not wanting to relive any of what had happened the night before.