Between Blades of Grass: Prologue

***Warning- there will be grammatical and spelling errors, as it's from the point of view of a child. The errors are on purpose, such as the word "tolded", rather than "told". To avoid confusion, the prologue is in Acacia's point of view when she is around four.***

Dedicated to: Tori Tormay5 for the brilliant idea for a prologue.

Prologue

"Night-night, baby girl; I love you." Mommy tucked me in the covers, moved my hair from my face and kissed my forehead.

"I love you, too, Mommy. Say 'Hi' to sissy and Daddy for me."

"I will, sweetie. Sleep tight." Mommy closed my door softly, but wiped her eyes a little. Maybe she had an itch.

My Mommy has a baby in her tummy, and she tolded me that I was in her tummy, too. Mommy said she ate some magical baby beans, that grow a baby, and then the stork brings it home. I don't know how long I have to wait to see my baby sister or brother. The doctor said that we won't know if the baby is a girl or a boy for a little bit, but the stork is gonna bring me a sissy. I know it, 'cause I know lots of stuff; more than Jake and the other boys- boys are icky and have cooties. Jake doesn't have cooties, but Miss Elise- Jake's Mommy- tolded me that Jake is like my brother; plus Jake isn't a baby 'cause he's a month older than me. That's why the stork can't bring a brother.

I closed my eyes and snuggled deeper into the soft sheets. My comforter is blue like Jake's eyes, 'cause I don't like pink. I think it's too girly; that's why Daddy told me I'm one of the boys. I'm strong, too. My teddy bears are on my windowsill, and I got lots of 'em. Mr. Fluffers is my favorite because he wears a blue bowtie, and he's married to Mrs. Fluffers- she wears a blue bow.

I think of the beach when I try to fall asleep; I like the beach. I see myself on a nice beach, with a tall boy- but I don't know why, 'cause boys are icky. The boy is giving me a piggyback ride and running, and then I stop thinking 'bout it... I don't want cooties. I don't like thinking of big boys since they're scary and bad and go to jail. A police came to my class and told us all about his job, and he said that jail isn't fun. It's like a big timeout. Timeout's aren't fun, either, but the big boys don't know that I think.

The front door downstairs slammed shut, and I heared feet walking.

Daddy! Daddy's home! I didn't move, though, Mommy tolded me to go to sleep.

Boom. Maybe Daddy dropped his work bag, again. That's what Mommy says.

"Richard!" She gasped. Is Daddy tickling Mommy again? I listen.

"You what?" Daddy asked loudly.

"I- I lost the baby." She muttered quietly. I don't know how she lost my sissy already, since the stork hasn't come. I hope Mommy finds sissy soon.

Slam. "Were you drinking? Did you have an abortion? Did you not take your prenatal pills," Daddy asked lots of questions. "Dammit, Michelle!"

I don't know why Daddy was saying bad words to Mommy. I'm not a-pposed to say them. That's why they're called bad words. I guess I should say good words.

"Ricky," Mommy said. "This hurts me just as much as it hurts you." She sounded like she was crying.

"Do you have to fuck up everything?" Daddy boomed.

I couldn't hear what Mommy said back.

Slam. "You ugly bitch!" Daddy yelled at Mommy.

I don't know why Daddy said Mommy was ugly. Mommy's really pretty. Everyone says I look like her. People call me a "little beauty". I think if I am pretty and look like Mommy, then she must be pretty like me.

"Richard, please, stop." Mommy told Daddy. I guess he was tickling her.

"You give me a beautiful daughter, and you promised me another child! You wanted another kid, Michelle!"

"I still do, Richard. You've been drinking, honey, you should calm down."

"Why the fuck should I calm down? We could have had a beautiful son, or another daughter!"

"Rich--"

"You should fucking hate yourself for this. An innocent baby- dead."

"I do hate myself for it."

"You killed it! You killed our beautiful baby, you murderer!" Mommy didn't kill anyone! Maybe Daddy is just joking. I hope he's joking. I hope Mommy is laughing so hard that she cries; I hope that's why she's crying.

"Richard, you need to calm down," Mommy exclaimed. "Before you--"

Boom. Slam. What are those sounds? "Before I what, sweetheart," Daddy's voice sounded weird. "Do something I regret? I already did, and it was meeting you."

Mommy kept crying, and the door slammed again before the car started up. I don't know why Daddy left, or where he's going; or why Mommy's crying.

I wanted to go see if Mommy's okay, but she tolded me to go to sleep- I have to stay in bed. I hope Mommy is okay, and that she finds sissy.

Maybe that's where Daddy went- maybe he went to find sissy.

Vote, Comment, Follow? Thanks! :)

Picture of four year old Acacia up top if you're reading on a phone.