Aftermath: The Outbreak

I still remember the day all of this began. I, Captain Chris Raynor, a captain in the US Army Special Forces, was assigned to lead my team to the outskirts of New York to evacuate a certain VIP we only knew by the call sign "Sierra One". At the time the news was already ranting about some viral outbreak and a lot of news about cannibals and strange mutants were already widespread. But there were still more people who thought that it was not something to really worry about. And I regret being one of those people at the time. But on the day we were sent to evacuate Sierra One, things were already in chaos. Riots everywhere. And the news just kept on getting worse.

It was just after breakfast and I was at the firing range with a handgun firing some shots when my second in command, Lieutenant Dan Summers, came to me with a message from our base commander himself, General Bryce Griffin. 

"Hey boss," Summers said as he entered the range. "The general wants us at his office, seems urgent. I think we might be getting a mission."

"A mission?" I asked with much curiosity and confusion. "Aren't we supposed to be on inactive duty?"

"I don't know boss, but it seems important. Besides, other teams were already deployed earlier."

"Whatever. Let me just finish this clip first."

I then emptied my gun at the target, all nine shots hitting its target in quick succession.

"Nice shot." Summers said in awe.

"I know," I said as I placed my gun at my holster and putting on my beret. "Let's go then."

Next thing I knew, we were at the general's office standing at ease as the general briefed us on our mission. "Alright boys," General Griffin began. "We're sending you to upstate New York to rescue a very important person. This is basically a go in go out operation and I don't want any questions asked. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir," I replied.

"Anyways," the general continued. "The VIP is call sign Sierra One. Let's just say he's a very important figure in the higher ups. Sierra One is top priority and he's the only one you're getting out of there, no one else. Here's his photo."

The general then handed me a black and white photo of a bald guy with glasses and a beard in a suit. "Once you get Sierra One," the general continued. "You are going to ride that helicopter straight to Washington DC and you are going to accompany him until you are relieved by the president's own security force. Await orders from then on out. Any questions?"

"Sir," Summers said. "Washington DC's kinda far from the mission area. Don't you think it would be best to just drop by an airport and transfer to a faster mode of transportation? A plane or something?"

"Right now," the general replied. "Well let's just say we can't afford to make stops. You'll be riding a heavily fueled chopper to make sure you get to where you need to go. Anything else."

"None sir," I replied.

"Well then you boys got a maximum of thirty minutes to gear up and get to that chopper. Better assemble your team, captain."

"Yes sir."

After leaving the generals office I ordered Summers to get the team ready and meet me at the prepping room. Summers made a run for it while I dropped by my office first where I took something important before heading to the prepping room myself. By the time I got there, the team was already dressed and were already preparing their arsenal. There was Sergeant William Bradley, my team's weapons expert, stacking up on ammunition. Sergeant Lewis Haynes, my team's medic, sitting in a corner geared up and ready, taking a nap. Sergeant Roy Evans, the team's communications expert and secondary weapons expert, checking the frequencies on his radio. And there was Lieutenant Dan Summers cleaning his handgun. I entered the room and quickly got combat ready as fast as I could. After putting on my flak jacket, donning my helmet, and putting on the rest of my standard gear, I simply took out three clips each for my handgun and assault rifle. I didn't bother to take any grenades or any other extra gear, thinking that the mission was gonna be an easy one. The first person to notice this was Evans. "Hey boss," he said. "Don't you think it's a little bit out of protocol that you're not gearing up too much?"