9. "If You Do, My Dear, We'll Kill Him."

NOT EDITED

Soft sound,

And to the way that she wears

Her hair down,

Covering up her face.

(Settle Down - The 1975)

"Wait!" I cry out, tearing myself away from Dylan. What the fuck? I immediately wipe my lips with the back of my hand, and he raises one brow like he's confused.

Fuck, God dammit. I let myself, for one minute, think that everything was okay. I let myself think that it was Drew I was kissing. I let myself dream of something better.

Why do you need to do things like this, Dylan?

I knew exactly why.

Because I screwed my boyfriend over. I could've just as easily told him V's ploy, but I was too absorbed with the image of Drew's lifeless body on the ground, eyes not opening and heart not beating.

God dammit.

"I - I need to go, I'm sorry," I rush out, wringing out my hands and Dylan immediately runs for the door, blocking my way.

"Wait, Dylan," he says. "I'm sorry. I kissed you first. I didn't mean to, you're just really pretty, and I really miss Becca," he said, smacking a hand to his forehead. "Just please, please don't hate me for this."

I run a hand down my face and sigh. I have no reason to be angry with him, and I'm not. "Dylan, hush. I'm not angry at you, I just," I stammer. "I need to get back to Drew."

He slowly moves away from the door. "Why? Didn't you two ... y'know?" He shrugs, ruffling his hair. "I mean, that's why I kissed you in the first place. I just assumed that -"

"Yeah, we did break up," I rush out, and he looks even more confused after that. "B-but I still love him. And I fucked up, big time. And now I'm just hoping that I'll wake up from some horrible dream - sorry - and I'll be next to him a-and everything will be o-okay," I swat my hand at my cheek, surprised to find it dry.

Well then.

I push past Dylan and rip open the door, running through and hurrying down the dorm halls, away from him and to Drew.

Ah, fuck, I really screwed up this time, huh?

***

I'm at the door, my shaking fingers frantically trying to unlock it. Dammit, my eyes are finally blearing up with tears and I can't tell which key is which. I yell out in frustration after the third attempt, and my phone suddenly rings loudly in my pocket.

I straighten up and, without thinking, press it to my ear with a frantic, "Hello?"

"Exceptional job, Dylan, my dear."

And his voice shouldn't still chill me to the bone, but it does.

"W-what?" I stutter, keys falling from my hand. Miraculously, my phone stays tightly held in my clammy fingers, as I wait for V to speak again.

"The boy, you did more than just break him," he laughs loudly, extravagantly, and it makes me sick to my stomach. "You absolutely destroyed him."