Assassin

Prologue

I never used to be a cold person. I might have been a loner ever since I was young, but I was never cold towards people or emotions. In fact, I had a rather happy disposition despite the fact how awkward I was. I never knew how to talk to people, let alone even try to interact with them. I was stared at because they knew. As soon as I came down the hallway of Brier's Academy, they knew who I was and knew my sad story. They knew even more about my own background than I did. 

As I hide in plain site at a party with a bottle of potassium cyanide in my purse and heels that even a dancer would grimace at, I find myself avoiding gazes, glances, and smiles that come in my direction. I wanted more than anything for them to leave me be; just pay attention to the party and less of me. I notice several eyes on me; those directly linked to my target. They've watched me since I walked through the door. I hoped they didn't recognize me. Maybe it was because of the way I styled myself. I don't look the age that would normally come to these parties. I look a little young. Maybe that's my downfall. 

A young gentleman offers a nod towards me. I nod back, walking up to the refreshments. I grab some punch. "I wouldn't drink that. Someone spiked it earlier with whiskey."

I looked in the direction of the gentleman talking to me. He had a charming smile, almost pure white teeth, and wore black-rimmed glasses. He was an extremely charismatic at best; narcissistic at worst. Even down to the freshly polished black loafers, he was clean-cut and glowed with a sense of propriety. In other words, he was my target. I immediately find my charm I had used so many times before. "I'll heed the warning," I say, placing the glass back down on the table. "May I ask your name?"

"Only if you don't mind providing yours to me?"

The first name comes that comes to mind is the name of my old friend. "Taylor. And yours?"

"Baxter; Jacob Baxter." He takes my hand once I offer it to him and kisses it with his tender lips. "You don't mind if we speak in private on the terrace, do you?"

"Not at all," I say and follow him outside, away from the prying eyes. No longer would the guards look at me. I had full opportunity.

Once we were outside, I walked over to the edge. I looked out to see the grand view of the city. I had never been to Seattle. I had never realized how grand and magnificant this place could be. Jacob comes up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and nuzzling his nose on the side of my neck. He kisses it gently. I pretend to react with a quiet sigh. "I know who you are."

I feel my eyes suddenly go wide. I turn around to face him. He looks at me with a controlled smile, but I could see a dark intent in his eyes. "And you should know me."

I just glare at him rather confused. He looks to make sure no one is coming. He tugs at his hair and removes a wig, pulls the cap off from under that, and reveals raven colored hair. He removes the colored contacts from his eyes and wipes at his face. When he's finished, a scar is across his left eye. I knew that scar. I knew those eyes. I knew that smile. I knew that hair. "Ronan?"