Proving Myself

I woke up and looked up towards the digital clock on the wall, it was 5:30. I sat up and stretched, I might as well get up and go hunting. I pulled on some simple green khaki shorts and a white shirt along with my combat boots. I grabbed my bow and climbed out of the IWV. I put the code into the lock and headed off towards the woods.

After only going about twenty feet in I heard a soft rustling to my left. I waited for a second and held my breath, after a moment a small buck stepped out of the foliage. I smiled and drew back my arrow and let it fly into its neck. It dropped and my smile grew even more. I stepped over to it and pulled out my arrow. I grabbed its ankles and slung the animal over my shoulders.

By the time, I made it back to the camp everyone was already up and about. As soon as I stepped through the trees, at least five guns trained in on me. "Uhh hey everyone," I said awkwardly. The guns dropped and were replaced by relieved faces. "Anyone hungry?" I gave a small smile. Rick and Shane came and took the deer with approving smiles. "Daryl, can you skin this?" Rick looked at the gruff redneck. "Fine," He grunted and easily took the buck from the two before laying it on the hood of a car to prepare it. "Thank you, Raksha." I turned and saw Lori giving me a sincere smile. "No problem." I gave her a nod before turning to go back into the woods. I had just hit the tree line when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Don't go too far, just in case you get into trouble." It was the first time Shane had shown a bit of care for my safety. "I won't. Thanks." With that, I continued on my way.

After at least thirty minutes traipsing around I had only managed to get three rabbits and a couple of squirrels. With annoyance, I decided to take another path back. Going only a couple feet down it, I shot two more rabbits. I pulled the arrows out and added them with my other killings. I was almost back to the highway when I found a large bush with blackberries. With a grin, I headed back to camp to drop off the meat and grab a container to put the berries in.

I set the animals where Daryl had just finished with my buck and caught his huff as I walked away. I was looking for Dale when I found Carol. "Looking for something?" She smiled knowingly. "Uh yeah actually, do you have a container?" "Sure what do you need it for?" She asked curiously. "I found some blackberries and I thought I could bring some back." "Oh, that would be great!" She smiled and went to her tent before coming back with a large plastic bowl. "Thanks!" I smiled and headed once again into the woods.

When I was finished picking as much as the bowl could hold I sought out Carol to give her my findings. She gave me a huge smile as she took it and thanked me for it.

After wondering around the makeshift camp for awhile, I ran into Glenn. "Hi." I gave a small smile. "Hey." Sensing his obvious distrust, I started to walk away. "Wait!" I turned around and raised an eyebrow at him. "Yeah?" He shifted on his feet before speaking again. "Rick wants me to find people to run into town and grab some supplies. Do you wanna go?" "Sure." I smiled and headed back to the IWV to grab a backpack.

After I had emptied out the bag leaving only a bottle of water, I grabbed my throwing knives and strapped them on my leg. I grabbed my bow and added a few more arrows to my sheath just in case and stepped back out. I had just put the lock code in when Rick, Glenn, Shane, and Daryl walked over to me. "Ready?" Rick asked. "Yep." I nodded and waited for the instructions. "Alright. You and Shane are going to go in one truck, while Daryl, Glenn, and I are going to go in another. Once we hit town we'll look for medicine, food, weapons, clothes, anything valuable you can find." Everyone nodded and we started to break up. I climbed in the passenger seat of a truck while Shane got behind the wheel. When Rick pulled out Shane followed behind him.

We drove along in a comfortable silence and I caught Shane glancing my way every once in awhile. When Rick finally pulled over we were about a quarter of a mile away from town. I stepped out of the truck and headed over to where Rick was standing.

"We'll walk the rest of the way so we don't attract any walkers with the sound of our cars." I nodded until Shane jumped in. "What if we need to get out fast? We'll have a hell of a way to run to get to the trucks?" Though he was obviously questioning Rick's authoritative judgment he had a valid point. "I say we'll just have to take that chance." The tone in his voice indicated he was already used to Shane questioning him. "Well, I don't think we should. What if somebody finds them and we're left stranded?" Another valid point, after catching the heated looks between the two I decided to butt in. "Why don't we take one and leave the other?" I felt four pairs of eyes turn on me and instantly regretted opening my mouth.

"That's not bad." Rick finally nodded. I noticed, this time, he didn't even wait for Shane to comment before giving out orders. "Me, Glenn, and Shane up front. You and Daryl in back." That made sense, two silent shooters on the back just in case. Everyone nodded and I jumped up onto the tailgate and got my bow ready just in case. Daryl hopped up next, and I noticed he sat as far away as possible. After everyone was in he tapped the side and we were off.

If only we knew what we would have to face.