D-day

He could hear the sound of bullets flying over him, behind him officers shouted their throats sore, "take the beach! For the love of your contry, take the beach!" He did not know what was the worse, the officers iron dicipline or the german bullets. He fired a short volley, as if to scare the german soldiers out of their bunkers. All around him shells where faling down from the clear blue sky, the hole beach was coverd with craters, not only from the german artillery, but also from the allied fighters and warships.

He could feel yesterdays meal as a lump in his stomach, they had been served the finest meal, with roasted duck and deer filet, most of the soldiers would never taste another meal again.

He crawled to a simple block of concrete, they where there to stop the tanks from charging up the beach, but right now, it was these blocks of concrete that saved him from the german fire. He turned around, he could see menn fall over the rim of the boats long before they even reached the beach, some tried to swim ashore, but they heavy gear dragged them down to a slow death. Meanwhile, german snipers where picking down the officers.

He thought back to when they left London, they had been sure of victory, he had dreamt of how he would return to his hometown as a hero, now he wasn't sure he would even return, menn where falling like flies around him, and still the germans kept on firing.

He saw a squadron of bombers fly over him, escorted eight spitfires, one of the planes came chrashing down, he winced at the thought of all the children who would never see their father again, all the wifes who would never see their husband again.

Infront of him was a forest of barbed wire, impossible to penetrate and live to tell of it. He could hear the sound of tanks behind him, they came whooshing past him, there was still hope! They could still take the beach! The tanks crushed the barbed wire. one hit a mine, but the rest kept on. The germans tried to aim theire artillery at the tanks, but in vain. The tanks started firing, and a roar of joy came from the soldiers on the beach, he stood up, the adrenaline took all control, he ran all he could through the gap the tanks had made, soldiers all around him did the same. He could see burning tanks and screaming men everywhere, but even more came from behind. He could see the flames from the german guns. Everything was in slow motion, a grenade landen right in front of him, he could feel his ears ring, and still he kept on runnig.

He could feel something in his stomach, he had never felt anything like it before, he fell to the ground. A soldier ran towards him, he had a red cross on the left side of his chest, "calm down, calm down, take a deep breath, you will survive this." he had no idea what the man was talking about, but he did as he was told. He felt an intense pain wash over him, he looked down, the sight was fearsome. He had a big hole in his stomach, he had to hold his guts in place. Everytthing became unclear, nothing mattered, he didn't care about famely or friends, he wanted to survive, he was going to survive!

He could no longer hear the bullets flying over him, he couldn't hear the officers shouting, everything disapeard, everything was turned black. The man above him came with comforting words, "you will survive" but even that seemed remote, he dug his left hand into the sand, as if to say goodbye to earth, he could feel his body give up, he took one last breath, before he passed away.