P R O L O G U E

P R O L O G U E

It was a hot and humid July night. The sky was a pitch black and it was like the stars disappeared. The smell of the sea salt from the ocean was thick in the air (I lived near the beach and it didn't help I left the window open).

I had been laying in bed when I heard someone sneaked in through the window. I jumped up, scared. But I sighed once I saw who it was.

My best friend since forever, Colton Grant, looked at me with a small smile and I looked back at him.

Colton was very handsome. You know that type of handsome where the guy doesn't know he's hot and that makes him even hotter. He had messy brown hair that demanded to be messed with and beautiful green eyes.

"What happened this time?" I asked.

"Can I please stay here tonight?" Colton asked.

I assumed his parents had been arguing again. They always seemed to be doing that lately. Colton hated it so he always spent the night at my house.

"Ok. Come on," I said, "Don't close the window."

Colton nodded before laying next to me.

"Can I tell you something?" Colton asked.

"Yeah," I answered.

"I like staying here," Colton said.

"I like you staying here. You're kind of like my brother," I replied.

"Just your brother?" Colton asked.

I looked at him and he looked back at me. I quickly looked back down.

"Macey... you never thought about it?" Colton asked.

"I'd be lying if I said no," I answered.

"So then why don't we do something about it?" Colton asked.

He leaned forward and kissed me softly on the lips. I kissed back for a second before letting go.

"Best friends aren't supposed to kiss," I said, getting up.

I walked over to the window and looked outside. All I saw was the ocean touch the sandy yellow shore before going back to the ocean.

I didn't hear Colton come behind me.

"Oh really?" Colton asked.

He wrapped his arms around my waist before turning me around and kissing me hard on the lips.

I kissed back and he pulled me closer till our bodies were touching. I ran my fingers through his hair and he kissed my neck. A moan escaped my lips.

He took off my shirt and started pulling off my shorts.

I kept on kissing him and unbuckled his pants. He then took off his shirt and we eventually made our way to the bed and he climbed on top. He kissed my neck and I closed my eyes, trying to catch my breath.

"You're so beautiful, Macey," Colton whispered.

I moaned as I felt him go inside me. It hurt at first but then it didn't anymore.

I officially lost my virginity to my best friend.

¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤

From that night on, we were closer together. Sneaking around to go out and having fun. I knew I had fallen in love with Colton towards the beginning of sophomore year of high school.

That was about to change.

We were walking towards the school entrance. I remembered I wore a pretty flower dress and my wavy brunette hair was in a messy bun. I reached over to grab his hand but he moved his hand away.

I stopped walking and Colton turned to look at me.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked.

Colton looked around before pulling me over to the side.

"Look, Macey... this summer was fun. It really was. But I don't think that we are gonna work," Colton answered.

"So you just used me?" I asked.

"I didn't use you, Macey," Colton answered.

"Yes you did. I thought we were more than that," I said, tearing up, "I've known you since 1st grade."

"I never wanted you to get attached," Colton replied.

"Get attached? For God's sakes, we had sex. More than once. And you never wanted to me get attached?" I asked in disbelief.

The Colton standing before wasn't the Colton I knew. The one from the summer. This Colton had changed. And he wanted me out.

"Fine. You got your wish. I'm out," I said before storming off.

"Macey!" Colton shouted.

I ignored him, wiping the tears off of my face. I rushed into the girl's bathroom and burst into a stall.

I was in love with him. I can't believe he could do this to me. I thought he loved me back.

I eventually cleaned myself and walked outside where I immediately bumped into someone. As I was about to apologize, my jaw dropped. I immediately recognized him as Tyler Jensen, a total player.

He looked me up and down before saying, "I'm praying you're single."

I giggled before saying, "Yeah. I am."

"Then you and I need to talk privately," Tyler said.

I grinned before saying, "That sounds perfect."

¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤*¤¤*¤

With only a blanket covering me, I looked over at Tyler who was putting his pants back on.

"I'm not looking for a relationship," I said.

"I understand," Tyler said, throwing his shirt on.

"Great. You could fuck other girls and I'm going to fuck other guys," I continued.

"Yes, ma'am," Tyler said, looking at me in awe.

Something told me that he wasn't used to a girl saying that. But it was true. I wasn't interested in love again.

I sat up, realizing that this was what I had come to.  To be in control. To make the rules. To not be attached.

And I honestly loved it. Little did I know, that this was only the beginning.