Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Honey,” I heard my mum’s gentle voice waking me from my rejuvenating sleep. “We’re here.”

I slowly opened one eye to analyse my surroundings. She was right. We were there.

“I slept the whole three hours?” I said shocked, my voice sounding raspy.

Mum smiled at me, a genuine smile too. “The whole three hours,” she repeated.

I smiled, feeling quite proud of myself, I hadn’t slept for more than an hour or so for about 5 months, well…until now of course.

Looking to my right, I saw the most beautiful house. There was a deep orange picket fence lining the trimmed, dark green grass. Daffodils and lilies ran around the garden and there were patches of beautiful orange and red flowers, flowers I hadn’t seen before. There was a cute pebbled pathway to the front door of the house.

My mouth must have been on the ground because my mum laughed. I looked at her and grabbed her arm; we walked up the path together. As we walked, I still couldn’t take my eyes from the front garden. It was stunning. I was so used to living in a big city, with tall buildings and flats. This was a street, full of houses that were all different but equally as beautiful.

As I stepped into the house, a vanilla scent hit my nose and I grinned – it was my favourite smell. I walked further into the beautiful house after taking off my shoes. It was open-planned which just emphasised its scale. To my right was a country style kitchen, there was a vase on the breakfast counter, holding a white orchid. Then to my left was a huge sitting area, a large television hung on the wall. Underneath was a beautiful fireplace and on its mantel piece were pictures of us as a family. All of the colours were warm and welcoming.

My mum looked at me expectantly, “I love it mum, and I really didn’t expect this. I just wish dad could be here to see it” I shied away looking at my feet for opening up ever so slightly to my mum.

She smirked, “he already did see it darling.” My confused face obviously urged her to continue; “He built this place” she laughed at me and pulled me into her arms, “he wanted us to move up here, before he got ill.” I heard the sadness in her voice.

I sometimes forgot how in love the two of them were. At the time, I would make fun of them and make gagging noises. But now, I’d give anything to have that back, to see her happy again. I looked into her big green eyes; she was smiling looking at the house. It obviously made her happy to be here. She met my eyes and softly kissed my forehead.

“Go pick a room then” she winked and pushed me toward the grand stairs in front of us.

I opened the first door I saw and stepped inside, another rush of vanilla met my nose. As soon as I saw the soft lilacs and silvers in the room I knew it had to be mine. Dad knew my favourite colour was lilac and I’d like to think he meant this room for me. I smiled and rushed to sit on the bed. I looked to the side of me and on the white oak side table; there was a picture of me and dad. He was holding me in his arms and dangling my summer hat over the water, I was laughing hysterically and he was chuckling. It was a perfect moment and I was more than glad to have it captured on camera. I held the frame in my hands kissed it and place it back on the table.

Toward the end of my bed there was a white oak desk with a lilac light. Next to the desk was a tall cupboard, I opened it and realised it was a walk-in wardrobe.

“Wow.” I muttered to myself. Next to my wardrobe I found another door, it was an en-suite fully decorated with lilacs, whites and silvers. It was beautiful. I walked out of my room, and noticed a tall mirror right in front of me. I slowly walked over to it. I looked at my self; for once my eyes didn’t look sad or tired. They looked revived and fresh.

I felt a smile pull at my lips. But it soon washed away when it dawned on me that we had left everything behind, I had to start at a new college and meet completely new people. I thought about Jacob and felt tears prick in my eyes, but I urged myself not to cry. It hurt too much. I coughed and shook my head in attempt to shake away my feelings. I wasn’t going to be soft anymore; I had to be strong for my mum and for myself. No more crying when I’m alone. I wasn’t allowing anyone to hurt me ever again. I made that promise to myself.

A heart stopping scream erupted all around the house and I jumped up, throwing my hand to my heart and running towards the stairs.

“Mum!” I shouted down the stairs before sprinting down them, two at a time.

Then I heard laughter and right before me, I saw mum in the arms of my Uncle David. I smiled; he looked so much like my dad.

“Uncle David,” I said softly, he looked at me with sympathy swimming in his eyes. I shook my head, “no sympathy please, but can I have a big hug?” I ran towards him and jumped into his arms. I felt safe; it reminded me of being in my dad’s arms. I revelled in this feeling.

He pecked my cheek and set my down on the floor. “Hey kiddo, you got tall. 16 now is it?” He said fake punching my arm.

“17 Uncle David” I smiled.  

I stood back and looked at him. He was so tall, standing at about 6ft5. His chocolate brown hair was sprouting some grey by the ears. He was wearing a vest and his perfectly chiselled arms were on show. He had a tattoo on his right bicep, saying: “James – gone but never forgotten”. I smiled at this, the only tattoo my uncle David had and it was in memory of my dad.

All this smiling was un-natural to me, I almost felt like something bad had to happen. I couldn’t possibly go from being so depressed and down to suddenly being happy. But there was no way I was wishing it away, it felt good not to worry or cry.

“Mum, how do we get money now? I mean, with you not working and me being at college?” I questioned. It was something I had wondered ever since first stepping into the big house. She didn’t answer straight away as she reversed out of our drive and began moving up the street.

“Um, well sweetie. Put it this way, your father had an extremely well paid job. He was experienced and his wage was higher than any kind of money we would need, so he put the majority of his money into a bank. When he passed away…”she paused, obviously finding it hard to continue.

I smiled and whispered, “It’s okay mum…carry on.”

She smiled warmly, before coughing and saying, “Well, when he passed away he left us a huge lump of money. So don’t be worrying about that for now OK?” Wow. OK. So, I didn’t know that. I thought dad’s job was just an average paying job – clearly not.

We pulled into the shopping centre and began – mum was the type of person to shop forever and considering we had absolutely nothing and that it was a Sunday, it was going to be an extremely long day for me.