Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The rain was pouring down as I crossed the road, approaching our special place. It was a tent hooked up by two trees, and it was lime green, so you couldn’t see it from a distance. No one ever even visited this field anyway, so we were safe.

I grinned and rushed to the tent, slipping inside and zipping the entrance shut. I closed my umbrella and sat down on the blanket we’d spread out on the floor ages ago. Lewis wasn’t here yet, so I shut my eyes and leant my head back.

I was in a band. I could offically say that I was part of a band now. There was just one problem- we didn’t have a name. I checked my phone and realised I didn’t even have anyone’s number. Oh wait…Drew. I clicked on him and sent him a message; what’s our band name?

His reply arrived within seconds: we don’t have one. We’ll discuss it tomorrow. Where are you?

I didn’t answer the last question, but sent him an OK. Just then, Lewis Brent entered the tent (hey, that rhymed!), shaking out his wet hair.

I sucked in a deep breath, studying my boyfriend’s godlike beauty.

He was tall and lean, with piercing blue eyes and shining blond hair. He was so handsome, it took my breath away. I should’ve been worried about how he resisted all the girls throwing themselves at him, but I knew he’d never cheat.

“Dee…” he breathed, sitting beside me and smiling, showing his adorable dimples. “How are you? I haven’t seen you for weeks!”

That was true. The last time it rained was about a fortnight ago, so we hadn’t seen each other since. I had missed him- a lot.

“I’m fine. What’s been going on with you?” I asked him, as he lay down, his head on my lap, looking up at me. I smoothed his hair down soothingly and his smile grew.

“Nothing much.” I saw a light in his eyes as he remembered something. “Oh, there’s a new girl at school. She’s really nice, and we’re good friends now. She arrived last week. She’s really pretty, but she doesn’t care. She’s much like you, actually.” I couldn’t resist the jealousy flowing through my veins.

“Oh, really.” I muttered. Then I raised the volume slightly of my voice. “Well, that’s funny, because there’s a new guy at our school too. He’s good friends with me now, and he’s so handsome! He’s also really smart, and even though he’s loved by loads of girls, he still hangs out with me.” I lied fluently.

Oh no, no, no, no! What had I done? A simple bit of jealousy caused me to lie to my boyfriend- to make him jealous. That’s just sad. I wanted to smack my forehead, but I kept my smile on my face to fool Lewis.

He scowled and his lips tugged down. “A new guy? Good friends with you?” he repeated stiffly. Then he relaxed. “I’m glad to know you have a good friend now. It’s about time someone noticed your awesomeness.” He smirked as I blushed, so I leaned down and kissed him.

Suddenly, a phone rang, and my head shot up, my hand reaching out to grab my phone, which was ringing loudly. I shot an apologetic glance at Lewis’s head on my lap, and answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Dee, it’s Dad.”

I smiled to myself. “Hi, Dad. How are you?”

“I’m good, Dee. I’m coming home in about an hour, but I’m just passing that clothes shop you and your mother were looking at last week. Did you want something from there?”

That’s my Dad, always the thoughtful one. I smiled warmly and replied, “Nah, it’s alright.” I recalled a special item I’d loved when I’d seen it in the shop window and added, “Actually, can you check the price tag for that sleeveless black top, with the black-and-white striped bow on the chest? It’s tight fitting, and has spaghetti straps.”