Chapter 21 - Unexpected News

I find myself once again in an empty hospital room, bed unmade. Staring at the room it feels desolate, alone, aching like me. I thought this was going to be the light path, I think in horrified dismay. Why am I here again? "Please, oh please don't make me witness this again." I cry out as the same Nurse One and Nurse Two enter the room "Please, no!" I collapse onto the chair and start to hysterically cry.

"Hush, look" Ms. Manners voice tries to soothe me, but the cruelty of her making me go through this again sparks my rage.

"I won't watch!" I yell at her defiantly, before curling back into myself. "Won't! Won't! Won't!" I repeat stubbornly.

"LOOK UP YOU FOOLISH CHILD – SEE THEIR FACES!" Mr. Loud startles me from my panicked state that I follow his directions without meaning to and glance at Nurse One and Two who are cheerfully stripping the bed. Wait, why are they cheerfully talking about Dr. Stud? Eww, no I did not want to hear you wonder if you could do that with him! This isn't what happened last time. Part of me liked the somber and sad nurses better.

I slowly uncurl from my chair as I cautiously watch them. They are chattering away like a pair of magpies trading stories about various patients. My mind starts to drift toward Jeff and what he might be doing right now when Nurse One suddenly catches my attention.

"Did you see the young man?" Nurse One asks. Oh no! I stand up, thinking of trying to flee, even though I know there is nowhere I can go. It's going to happen again, please stop. I can't take it.

"Yes I did!" Nurse Two replies enthusiastically, "and I swear they could hear him all the way on the other side of maternity, when he came tearing into the waiting room screaming that she was awake. Isn't young love grand!"

The nurses continue to chit chat gaily as they continue to make up the bed. I collapse back into the chair in dazed relief. I'm awake. 

"I'm awake!" I yell out in glee. Then a thought hits me, "wait, if I'm awake then why am I still here? If I'm awake who's running my body? Mr. Loud get out of my body and let me back in it!" It would be just like that spooktacular jerk to take a joyride in my body. The least he could do is wait until it was monthly girl time and then take over then. Haha Mr. Loud with menstrual cramps would be poetic justice I think vindictively.

The nurses having finished their task, start to exit the room. Nurse Two suddenly bends down and scoops up something from the floor. She shows my bracelet to Nurse One and says "I'm going to go return this to the patient before the shift nurse gets in trouble for not noticing it's gone. I'll be right back."

Both nurses exit the room leaving the door, thankfully, wide open for me to follow after them. I follow Nurse Two through a series of hallways and corridors. She pauses in front of one random door and knocks quietly before quickly opening it and slipping in. Shutting the door firmly behind her. Well darn it, I think angrily, how am I supposed to get in there now? I press myself against the door willing to attempt to be ghosted through if it allows me entrance.

As I wedge myself tight against the door, I suddenly find myself falling through the door and end up flat on my face inside the room. I fell through the door! I think in disbelief as I hear a loud dark chuckle in my head! That rat faced bastard, I think meanly, I hope fleas infest his crotch hair!

"Tsk, tsk, child," Ms. Manners scolds me, and I settle down a bit since she brought me here. I can play nice for now. I get up carefully, avoiding glancing around the room until I have thoroughly checked that every tiny piece of non-corporeal me is fine. I am playing ostrich again as I concentrate on wiggling each of my toes, first one by one, and then all together. I switch to the other foot and pay just as much attention to it. I don't want to see another empty room. I don't want to see a crying Jeff. I concentrate fixedly on my feet, while my ears are strained to hear everything around me.