Chapter 2

Hope you enjoy =]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     The cafe is slow today, with only a few patrons. The smell of freshly brewed coffee envelopes the whole area, giving the true essence of a cafe. David couldn't help but notice the necklace that Heather is wearing. The chain holds a small, silver piece of puzzle that is bare of any scratches or markings. Thinking to himself, David is filled with astonishment -- "I can't believe she still has it". He closes his eyes and smiles to himself. 

    "You love the smell of coffee that much?" Heather asks, looking at him with a teasing smile. 

    "Now that you mention it, I guess so." David says with a small grin. "What can I get ya?"

    "Umm... surprise me. But I don't want anything too extravagant. Oh and thank you." 

    "Yes ma'am. Find us a seat will you?"

    "Oh... I'm sure I'll be able to." She looks around the room and walks to the table with a window. 

    He knew she would pick that seat. She loves staring out windows and seeing the scenery, even if it's just of people walking by. He goes up to the counter and orders an espresso for himself and a chai tea for her. Once the order was ready, he walks over to where she was sitting and hands her the hot cup of tea. "Hope you like it." 

    Heather takes the cup in her hands and tilts her head slightly down to smell the tea. "Mmmm... chai. My favorite. Nice pick. How'd you know?"  

    He wants to tell her how; he wants to tell her everything; he wants to tell her that he loved her and missed her, but he couldn't. At least he can't right now. "I just picked something I thought you would like. I mean, based on the way you dress, you look like a tea kinda girl. See... flowery dress, bangles, big sunglasses, messenger bag.. oh and long wavy hair... tell me I'm wrong." 

    She looks at him and laughs. "I suppose so..." 

    "So, that Post-it you left. What made you do it? ...... Do you know me somehow?" Heather asks, taking a sip from her tea.

    David hesitates in answering for a few seconds before telling her something made up. "You looked lonely, sitting by yourself at the diner and my friends saw me staring at you and they kinda dared me to do it." David notices that the look on her face changed from a soft to a guarded one. "Don't get me wrong. I really wanted to introduce myself and talk to you but I didn't know how. They just kinda... pushed me in the right direction. I honestly didn't think you would show." 

    Heather slowly smiles and takes another sip from her tea. "Well I did. Actually, I'm glad you left that note. I'm new to town and I was feeling a bit lonely. It's so different here than back home."          As their conversation continues, David finds himself falling more and more in love with her. He didn't think it was possible, but apparently it is. He has never seen such a beautiful woman; not then, not now, not ever. She has no clue at all who he is, or who he was. But she will -- that, he promised. Everything about her was perfect; the way she smiled and laughed; the way she talks with her hands when she gets really into the subject; the way she occasionally trips over her words; the way the sun always catches her face to make it light up; the way....

    "Oh my gosh! We've been here for 3 hours. I have to get going to an interview. Umm... Lets meet up again sometime? How do I reach you?" 

    David chuckles softly and reaches for a napkin. She always loses track of time. "Do you have a pen?" 

    Heather reaches into her bag and pulls out a pen with a big, pink flower on top. "Uhh.... sorry this is the only one I have with me." She blushes and hands him the pen.

    "Oh... Don't worry about it. Every man secretly wants to use one of these." He scribbles his number on the napkin and gives it to her, along with the pen. "Don't lose it."    

    "I won't." She stuffs the napkin into her bag and turns to leave. " Oh! Thank you for the tea and company. Gotta go. Hope to see you soon." She rushes down the stairs and out the bookstore. 

    David watches her leave, smiling to himself, thinking back to when they first met. It felt so long ago.... and it was. 

----------  

"May I have this dance?" David asked Heather, who stood at the end of the staircase quietly conversing with few of her friends. She was undoubtedly the most stunning one there. Her dress was that of a pale green and her hair held a light yellow flower. Both her cheeks and lips were pink, but it was her eyes that drew him towards her. It was the brightest emerald green he had ever seen.      

  Heather blushed lightly and held out her hand. "Of course. Please excuse me, Ashley and Audrey." 

    David took her hand and led her to the center of the room where they began to dance. "Ms. Lewin..."

    "Please, call me Heather..." She said with a warm smile. 

    "Heather, it's a pleasure to meet you. My friend, Kinsey, works for your father. I've heard a lot about you."  "All good things I hope."

    "Of course."   

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote & Comment to tell me what you think