Alone.

Paul 

I stared at the girl as she staggered off quietly. I noticed the bruises on her arms and how worn out she looked. I immediatly halted my car and slowly walked out, she turned around to stare at me with her big eyes as I stopped. The air caught in my lungs as I noticed how close they looked to my little angels eyes. Fazed for a second I noticed the fear creeping into her eyes.

“Please, I don’t want to get in trouble. Mummy said I had to be home right after I visited Alex.” She whimpered quietly. I looked at her and nodded. She had hazel hair with golden trickles carefully intwined into them.

“I’ll drop you home?” I offered noticing how scared she looked. Her finger curled around the end of her shirt as she stared at me.

“It’s okay. Stranger Danger, I know. I’ll call you a cab. Here where do you live?” I asked as i opened my phone. She whispered softly ’13 Woodbury street a few streets off the primary school’. I nodded as I told the operator through the phone. We waited patiently for the taxi to come. She didn’t once open her mouth to say anything even though I could tell she was grateful.  She was physically there with me sitting there but I could tell her eyes were empty. A shadow of who she used to be. The dark circles around her eyes seemed only fit for a suicidal teenager. I don’t think she would know the meaning of suicide yet. The cab arrived and I payed him the money and I waved at her. Quietly I told the driver to go past Mcdonalds so she could get something to eat. Anything she wanted. I smiled before handing her a 10 dollar bill. She stared at me the soft pink fading away from her cheeks. Her eyes darted from sided to side before she finally looked into my eyes and whispered.

“Please, no.” 

Monique

I could feel my heart beating loudly against my tattered clothing’s. The man looked nice at the start. He had black hair and his eyes were like dark cats eyes. They shone through the sunset and seemed to twinkle with happiness. But he was like Alex...and all the other boys my mummy bought home for me. I Shook my head violently as he smiled. Looking for a way out I was about to scream but before the air could leave my lungs I notice his eyes were filled with a soft edge. His lips swirled up into an inviting smile nowhere close to the twisted smirk Alex always gave me before he made me take off my clothes. 

“Here, it’s okay. Keep this if you want to buy any food. My names Paul. Do you want to tell me your name?” He asked as he curled my finger around the 10 dollar note. I wanted to say my name loud and clear but I couldn’t. I was afraid that this was a trick. That mummy would stroll up the wind elegantly blowing her hair as her eyes pierced into mine. She would scream at me and call me a ‘little whore’ She’d grab my hair and threaten to drive me out into the city and leave me there alone. I didn’t want to be alone. I loved mummy. 

“Well, if you change you mind heres my number.” He said giving me a card with his name and number scrawled messily across it. He closed the door and waved me off.

I was half way down the road when I realised mummy wasn’t going to find out about this. So I rolled down my window and poked my head out as I watched the guy stare at the taxi driving out. I opened my mouth up and softly whispered to the wind.

‘Monique’

I don’t think he would have heard me but maybe the wind would carry my voice over to him. And he’d no my name. Maybe the wind would carry the sadness in my voice to him and then he’d help make mummy like me. Or maybe the wind wouldn’t do it’s job. Maybe it’d forget me...Just like everyone else.

.....

The driver took me to Macdonald’s he said that my dad told him to take me there. He meant Paul....Paul wasn’t my dad but I was wishing on every falling star that he was. I asked for a happy meal. I got a Power Puff girl figure. It was Blossom and she said ‘Hi i’m Blossom from the Power Puff girls.’ I smiled. It would be a memory of today.  

.....

I walked into the house, Blossom tucked into the waist of my pants. Mummy stared at me as I walked in. Mummy wore sparkling makeup today. Her hair was braided and twisted like a halo while the rest of her hair fell down her shoulders. She looked like an Angel. The black powder on her eyes caught every single ray of light and the pupils of here eyes were like big black holes. Sucking everything into them. She took one look at me and her face twisted with hate. 

“What took you so long? Did you not hear me say to be back by 3? It’s now 6:30. What were you doing? Whoring around with Alex?Well, don’t get ahead of your self you little slut. He doesn’t like you one bit. He just does it to support us.” She snarled venom dripping off her words. She grabbed my wrist and dragged me across the room and into the garage and shoved me in the car. Coming through the other door she switched on the car. The engine snarled at me viciously as well, but instead of driving mummy waited. She then lifted my shirt up and pressed something on my stomuch. At first I didn’t feel anything but then I felt pain seeping into that single part of my body. I screamed my voice filling the car as Mummy clasped her hand across my mouth. Not meaning to a bit Mummy as the tears streamed heavily down my face. 

“You, Bitch.” she screamed loudly at me as she slapped me across the cheek with her ring hand. I could feel my cheek stinging before I realised blood dripping from my chin.

“Get out. Now. Just go away you slut. I don’t need you here.” Mummy screamed. She started to back out of the garage and she started driving down the road.

“I’m going to drop you somewhere. You ungrateful little brat. I feed you and buy you clothes. I gave up my whole life for you. Your dad gave up his life to put you through fucking school. And look where we are? Your dad’s not coming back in a long time and I’m stuck with you. Well, I’m better off.” She whispered softly as she parked on an unfamiliar street near a park. She had her head resting on the steering wheel.The tears were wrapped around her face making her face glisten. Mummy looked so pretty. Her eyes weren’t red or puffy. Her lips were trembling uncontrollably.

“Mummy I’m sorry.” I whispered my voice breaking. She looked at me and whispered so softly I could barely hear.

“Get out.”  I started to cry the salty tear sting on the cut. My stomuch was stinging and all I wanted was mummy to hug me. To take me  back home bandage up my cuts and tuck my in and watch me sleep. 

“Just get out Monique. Don’t come back.”  She said before turning her focus back foreward. She didn’t say anything for the next few seconds as I got out and stood there. After a few more moments she drove off. Leaving me behind. I could feel my heart burning as I dropped to my knees and burst out crying as her car disappeard into the distance. I started to run after her but I wasn’t fast enough. I wasn’t anything. I could see the moon as I walked into the park heading to a tree to sleep there for the night.  I laid there wide awake as the darkness took over me.