Positively Medieval

Melanie was sitting on her pathetic excuse of a mattress; springs tore through the thin material, pressing into her soft delicate skin. But her mind didn’t register the physical pain for it was too focused on the emotional pain.

It shone through her eyes, the total isolation, the cause of her depression and the bittersweet memories, times when she was happy. All that had changed years ago.

Melanie let out a breathy sigh as she lay down on the mattress, the spring now pricking her back.

The young woman felt like crying, she wouldn’t even have to use her pillow to muffle her sobs like she used to because no-one was there to hear. Being stuck on the isolated island for God knows how long could do quite a number on you.

Looking around the cottage Melanie studied the grey walls to the empty, useless vending machine. It was a depressing little place. The first time Melanie entered the run-down cottage she thought she had gone instantly colorblind with the only color being grey, she thought it peculiar at first but now it was just down-right depressing.

“How is it I’m still sane?”She wandered aloud. Anyone in her place would have gone bat-crazy or thrown themselves off a cliff by now but Melanie was stronger than that, and they knew that

The one good thing about the cottage is were it’s situated; on a beautiful cliff top, a beautiful sight that Melanie never grew tired of. Melanie would lie in the soft grass waiting for the sun to rise and reveal the beauty for the first time of the day. The lush green grass that tickled her feet, the dark green fern tress surrounding, the clear blue water that thrashed rocks 300ft below was quite a sight and it possessed the same beauty of a siren that brings one to their watery graves.

Then there was Heather. Heather was an old bird, owl to be specific, barred owl to be more specific. She was Melanie’s old friend.

Melanie hears the flapping of wings and instantly knew it was Heather coming to accompany like every other night. The flapping stills as Melanie feels a presence next to her, she smiles as she feels heather soft feathers at her side, the bird obviously wants attention.

The old, beautiful owl hoots and Melanie looks to her right seeing Heather proudly holding a dead mouse in her talons.

Melanie pats her head.

 “Good girl.” and goes back to looking at the sunset depressed.

After some time Melanie sighs, tilting her head back, feeling like throwing herself into the crashing water below, Heather seemed to realize what Melanie was thinking and hooted reprimanding.

“One day Heather I’ll do it, I just can’t keep living like this, you know? If I had a humans company then…” she felt crazy talking to a bird like it could understand and reply.

Heathers eye’s bulged and she nipped at Melanie angrily.

“Okay, okay, I won’t! Stop nipping me” Melanie laughed. It was amazing how much the bird was so much like a person.

Heather then hooted and flew off, leaving Melanie alone.

When it became dark she laid flat on her stomach so she could see the where the cliff ended, seeing the dark water thrash against the rocks causing water to go up like water from a whales blowhole.

yeah I realise this chapter is broing but it's only to get the story started.