Childhood Friends, Right?

Prologue

   “That’s gross!” Everyone shrieked.

   Alex was kissed on the cheek, by none other than Elena, or as she liked to call herself, “Mrs. Ford”. She had a huge crush on Alex Ford.  Everybody in her 1st grade class even knew she did.

   Always bugging him, and always wanting to be close to him; it was so obvious!

   “Gross,” Alex said, rubbing his cheek roughly.

   Elena just stayed there standing, her eyes closed, with a silly grin plastered onto her face.  Then, she opened her dark brown eyes and asked, “Why is it gross?”

    “Why is it gross?” Alex repeated, his blue eyes growing in disbelief. “It’s gross because now I have girl cuddies!” He yelled loudly.

   Elena just sighed sheepishly, “You boys are weird, I don’t believe in boy cuddies!” She exclaimed.

   Alex just stood there, shocked. “You don’t?”

   Elena looked at him and said, “Of course I don’t.”

   “Ha-ha, I bet you’re lying,” Alex said, mockingly.

   Elena stared seriously at him, “Want me to prove it to you?”

   Alex gave her a smile, “Yeah.”

   “Alright, I just hope you won’t regret it.” Elena said, her tongue sticking out at him.

   She walked up closer to him, and did something girls weren’t supposed to do…she hugged him. Alex just stayed there, frozen in place.

   Elena let go of him, “There, now do you believe me?” She said, a smile of triumph popping up on her face.

   Alex still stood there, no words coming out.

   “Come on, it wasn’t that bad.” Elena said.

   Walking up closer to him and poking him on the forehead.

   Alex backed away from her, and said “Get away from me!”

   “Alex, it wasn’t that bad!” Elena said, trying very hard to sound reasonable.

  It was too late; Alex was already running away, out of the classroom.

   Ms. Pace was running out to go talk to him, Elena running by her side, “I want to go too!”

   Ms. Pace glanced at Elena and said, “I think it’s better if you stay here.”

   Elena stayed in place, and watched as her teacher ran off to catch up to Alex.

   She sat at her desk and laid her head on the cold surface.

   “It wasn’t that bad…” she grumbled.

-*-

Three years later- 4th grade

Elena moved from her grandparents’ house to a new one.  Of course she still goes to Southeast Elementary School, but today she got the shocking news.

   She was lying down on her bed. Her body all sprawled on the bed, her long, curly brown hair lying loosely on-top of her bed. She had her eyes closed, her head moving to the song she was listening to on her iPod.

   Her mom was knocking on her door lightly, and without Elena realizing, came into her bedroom. She went by Elena and stared at her, a small chuckle getting the best of her.

   With that single chuckle, Elena opened her eyes and looked up, startled to see her mom there. She took her headphones out of her ears and asked, “Mom, what are you doing here?”

   “A mother can’t check up on her daughter?” Her mom said jokingly.

   Elena just giggled a little, “Of course you can mom, but you sneaked up on me.” She said, holding up her index finger pointedly.

   Her mom sat on her bed and said, “Oh, I’m sorry sweet-heart.”

   Elena shrugged off her shoulders and said, “It’s ok. But, seriously Mom, what did you come here for?” Elena didn’t really believe about her Mom really wanting to check up on her. There has to be something really important she wants to tell me, Elena thought herself. She sat up pretzel style and looked intently at her Mom.

   “Well,” her Mom started, “Your Father and I have decided to transfer you to a school here nearby.”

   Elena's eyes got big, “What, right now?!”

   Her Mom shook her head lightly, “No, of course not. You’re going to finish fourth grade at Southeast, but next year you’re going to be starting fifth grade at North Elementary.” She said reassuringly.

   Elena opened her mouth to say something, but nothing could come out; she was shocked, and caught off guard.  Her brows were furrowed, confusedly. How could this happen? She thought to herself.  I have so many friends at Southeast, how can I just move like nothing?

   “Honey, it’s going to be alright.” Her mom said. Shutting Elena’s mouth closed.

   Elena just looked at her Mom, hopelessly. “But, Mom…” Elena started.

   Elena’s mom just shook her head, “No more buts, Elena. You will like it there, and you’ll definitely make lots of new friends. I’m sure of it!” She said encouragingly.

   “Fine,” Elena said, a blow of useless air coming out from her mouth. Why me? She thought to herself.

   Getting up from the bed, Elena’s Mom kissed her daughter on the forehead and said, “Everything will be just fine.”

   Sure it will. Elena thought, sarcastically.

   Walking towards the door, Elena’s Mom gave a gentle wave and walked out, closing the door slowly behind her.

   Elena threw her head on her puffy pillows and gave a big sigh.

   She put her headphones back on and clicked on one of her favorite songs that helped through some rough times.

   “Ah, perfect song to listen to right now.”

 Her arms came up behind her head, and her eyes wandered up towards the ceiling for awhile, until she eventually closed them.

   Well, I suppose there’s no way of getting out of this one. She thought hopelessly to herself. Man, why do these things have to happen to me? At least I won’t have to see Alex anymore. Sure, I used to like him. But he never pays any attention to me; I’ve given up on him long ago. Plus, I even have my suspicions that he hates me…

   I’m not completely sure he does, since they are just suspicions. I just don’t know. I guess I still do have feelings that linger for him. Feelings that will never be returned…

   I mentally chided myself, of all the people I could’ve liked, why him? Why someone who could never possibly feel the same way about me? Why?

   Her hand hit her forehead, repeatedly, but not too hard; she was frustrated. Her very first love never showed his true internal feelings. She even knew how oblivious he was to how she even felt towards him. He never truly looked at her with those eyes that are so amorous and sincere.

   They never appeared.   

   But she was transferring. Hopefully, putting an end to her unrequited love, and finding a new love at a new school.