Back to Baker Street: Part 2

Author's Note: Hello, readers of this fanfic! I just wanted to let you know, in case you were curious, that I'm American. So if you see something that looks too American to belong in Sherlock, then you're probably right. I'm trying to be as British as possible, but if I slip up, I'm sorry.

Thanks again for reading, voting, commenting, etc.! You guys are awesome!

Chapter 4 (Cont.): John's POV

I woke the next morning to the sound of my phone's text tone. I groaned and rolled over in bed. Who would be texting my this early in the morning? I decided to ignore it and go back to sleep, but that didn't last long. Not a minute later, the same three-tone trill issued from my nightstand, where my phone rested.

"What do you want?" I yelled into my pillow, though I knew whoever was trying to contact me couldn't hear me. The phone trilled again, and I sat bolt upright in bed, fuming. "Alright. You win," I said, reaching over for my phone. When I saw the name on the screen, my annoyance level only increased. Mycroft.

I read the texts, starting with the one that had woken me up in the first place:

John, it's Mycroft Holmes. We need to talk.

I suggest we meet at my office, say around noon?

I'll send a car to pick you up about fifteen minutes before.

The last thing I wanted to do right now was see Mycroft, and an idea quickly came on how to avoid talking the Sherlock's older brother. I texted him back:

Can't meet with you today. Have to work. -JW

There. Mycroft couldn't say no to my having to work. Satisfied, I put my phone back on the nightstand and lay down in bed. I still had an hour before I had to get ready for work, and I intended on using that hour for sleep. However, this feeling of satisfaction was short-lived, as my phone went off again about two minutes later.

They're letting you off for the meeting, and it won't count as your lunch break. This is now considered a government meeting. I am a member of the British government, after all. -MH

Brilliant. Now there was no way around it. I had to meet with Mycroft, as much as I didn't want to.

Fine, just send the car to my office. I replied.

Mycroft's response was immediate. Of course. See you at noon.

 I didn't reply to this, I just put my phone back down on the nightstand and tried to back to sleep. Now I would definitely need to be well-rested to take on the day.

~~~~~~~~

One of Mycroft's cars picked me up from my office at a quarter to noon, just as Mycroft had promised. It was only a ten-minute ride between our offices, but you never knew what would happen in London around lunch hour. Sarah knocked on my office door to tell me that the car had arrived, but I didn't even need her reminder to know that the car was here. Of course it would be on time. It was Mycroft.

"John, there's a car here for y- oh, you already knew that then," Sarah said. I was already halfway to the door, jacket on, when she entered.

"Yeah, I know, thanks," I said. I walked past her and out the door, ignoring the looks my coworkers were giving me. It wasn't every day a government car came and got one of the staff members.

The car was definitely nicer than I was used to, a silver sedan that looked brand-new. When I got in, I saw the same girl, the one that always came to pick me up, tapping away on her phone. I had tried to get her to go out with me forever, but naturally she wouldn't go for it. "Hi," I said upon sitting down. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"