Ch. 2, pt. 2: The Used-to-Be Fields

I convince Ro to put off his futile journey, at least another few days. It's either stay here and put up with me and my paltry meals, or go and put up with no meals at all and a death by desert. Even on two good feet, most people ain't stupid enough to venture through that particular stretch of dust. He's just askin' fer it if he don't take my advice. I'm surprised to say, he finally does. He must be desperate if he's gonna listen to me cuz, who am I to him really? Course, the better questions is, who is he?

I already know he must come from one of the Regions. Not the big middle part we're standin' in now, but one of the outlier areas that circle us, on the rim of the continent. There's more than one season aside from Dry in the Regions and that means you don't gotta squeeze life outa death every day the way you do here. The Regions got their own way of livin', and as far as I cain tell, they maintain that way by keepin' the rest of us in our place.

After our hearty breakfast, I make him haul water to the vegetable patch and use the opportunity to question him.

"Where you appear from, anyways?" I watch as he draws water up out of the ground.

"I'm from the city," is all he says.

"Well, no shit, yer from the city. I guess what I mean to say is, what's a city dweller like yerself doin' here? We ain't exactly on the map. And yer kind don't usually like to associate themselves with me and mine."

"My kind?" he peers at me real strange, like I've truly offended him. "Just what is my kind?"

"Don't give me that, Rordan. You know what I mean. Everyone knows there're only two types of people on this gods' forsaken planet. Them that's lucky, and them that ain't. You was born from the lucky ones, and I was born-well?" I sweep my hand 'round to indicate my surroundings, "Here. Unluckyville. I ain't complainin', though."

"No," he laughs, "you ain't complainin'."

"What, now you gonna make fun of how I talk? Is that it? You think cuz the way I talk, I must be unintelligent, don't you?"

"I didn't say that." All the sudden, the water stops gittin' pumped and there he is standing with that offended expression sappin' his good looks again.

"I talk this way cuz this is how people does it here. Probably the first people in these parts talked real similar, so it just goes to follow. Ain't nothin' unintelligent about it. You wanna talk about not smart, how about decidin' what's proper and stickin' to it, even if it makes no sense. Ain't that what you and your kind are all about? Rules, rules, and more rules. All to make you out as bein' more important, better than the rest of us. Now that's good justification fer you to go on with your lucky lives, and leave the rest of us here in the desert to dry up and die. At least then, our bad luck cain't rub off on you."

Ro shakes his head, wipes the sweat from his brow and sets his eyes to the horizon."I like the way you talk, May. And as for smarts, I'd be foolish to even consider competing with you. I don't deny that my kind, as you put it, is guilty of thinking the way you just mentioned, maybe worse. But let me ask you this, if I was so lucky, if things were as wonderful in the Regions as you seem to assume, why am I out here, in your corner of nowhere, sleeping in a goat shed, and taking your unjust criticism?"

Well, now, that is something to ponder. Still, he ain't given me the answers I'm lookin' fer. Each of us lifts a bucket and we haul water over to my sorry excuse fer a garden. "Look, Rordan, there's only so many reasons why someone like you would walk through that gulch and end up on my farm. I know you got the law after you, and I ain't askin' you to tell me why."

"So you really don't want to know?"

"Oh I wanna know. Fact, I'm dyin' of curiosity. What I mean is, you tellin' me ain't a condition of yer stay here. I already offered my hospitality, and I ain't as interested in yer crimes as I am in yer character. You've already convinced Nessie that yer all right, but you ain't convinced me. Not yet. So whatever you cain do to plead yer case, best you go ahead."

"And what do I get, if I convince you I'm actually an upstanding citizen, that this running from the law is all just the result of a big misunderstanding?"

"You git a kick to that bum ankle of yers fer lyin' to me."

He raises his eyebrows. "Fine, then. What if instead I give you the truth, you believe it, and what's more, you like me better for it. What then?"

"Another measly meal comes yer way." I empty my bucket and toss it to the ground. "Only you cain have it at the kitchen table like civilized folk, and you cain enjoy a night's rest without breathin' in goat droppings."

Ro wobbles a bit as he waters the dust. It's already hotter than hot out and I shouldn't be encouragin' him to walk on that leg, so I offer him the slightly less hot shade of the porch. He sets himself in a chair and puts his sore leg up on the railing. Elevated, just like I told him. He looks out toward the north, where town is, then gives me one of his customary deep stares 'fore he opens his mouth.

"If you're sure, May, then here goes."

Well, I'm glad they got all of that straightened out! It's tempting to judge people's intelligence based on how they speak. This is often based on stereotyping rather than in fact, as May wisely points out. In Ro's defense, he does genuinely acknowledge her intelligence. The differences in how they speak (I imagine Ro talking in a slightly affected manner) exemplifies how very different their lives have been.

The big question looming from this chapter: just what exactly is Ro's story? Any guesses? Thank you for supporting this story by reading/commenting/voting! Thanks to you, Reba and Nessie had full bellies last night. Keep it up and we'll have two very happy goats!

Today's dedication is for Chesmok (Jackie) who I met in the #FutureLibrary contest. Jackie is not only an awesome writer, but is a very supportive Wattpadder. She exemplifies what being a Wattpad writer is all about. There's a lot to love on Jackie's profile. I'm particularly interested in CUTTHROAT CARMINE: A HALF BLOOD VAMPIRE THRILLER. Check it out!