Don't Kiss and Run - Contest Entry

All Rights reserved to Katalicious who is the author of the book "Don't Kiss and Run"

Zeke, or should I say Zack, Grabbed Olivia by her arms and pulled her up giggling. I shifted my feet uncomfortably not sure what to do.

"I'm gonna go and mingle" I said, Uncomfortably.

"ok" Olivia replied in her sing songy voice, grabbing her brother by the Hand and dragging him into the next room. I shoved my hands in my pockets and shuffled after her. 

The room was completely packed with people, some of which I recognised as my dad's business friends. 

A particularly old guy with grey thinning hair and a bulging nose came up to me, I recognised him as Mr Paltrier.  

"Congratulations on the baby son, I hear you've asked our dear Olivia to marry you is that right?" 

"yep" I said trying to stop my voice from wobbling. I couldn't talk about this not now. I already felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest and thrown into a blender for God's sake! How the hell was I going to last the night with people congratulating me on my FAKE relationship and my FAKE baby? 

I could feel the unfamiliar yet obvious hot prickle of tears in my eyes and excused myself quickly from what I could tell was going to be an awkward conversation if it went any further. 

Walking quickly with my head down so no one would see my reddening eyes I walked towards the other end of the house and towards the massive glass doors that led out on to the veranda that looked out over the pool. No one was over this side so I could get a bit of peace and quiet from the laughing and the wine glass chinking of the party. 

I looked out over the dark stillness of the swimming pool and felt the cool night breeze ruffle my hair. 

What had I done? More to the point, why had I done it? I had set myself up to be hurt. I was a fool and I knew it too. Why had I chased after her that first day? Why had I confronted her in the restaurant? Why had I said she was pregnant and my fiance and all those other things? Why, why, WHY? 

But the answer was simple. Simple and yet so complicated and so difficult that I didn't want it to be that answer at all.

I loved her.

I loved her more than I ever thought it possible to love anyone. And I knew that that love, which had imposed itself on me without giving me a second to think about it or the consequences of it and had buried itself so deep in my heart would never leave me. Even if she never loved me, I knew I would always be hers, always, always. 

I thumped my fist down on the wooden railing that was around the balcony, closed my eyes and sighed. As I opened them I saw movement down by the pool. Then I heard that sweet tinkling laugh that I loved so much. It was Olivia, but she wasn't alone. Light suddenly flooded the patio as they set of the motion detectors and I ducked down behind the railings to avoid being seen. I didn't want to be accused of spying on her did I? 

Through the gaps in the rails I saw the person she was with. My stomach churned and my fists clenched around the bars. It was that guy! That buy from the coffee bar! Here! How could he be here? 

"how on earth did you figure it out?" I heard Olivia ask

"easy" he said holding up his phone "There's an app for that"

Olivia laughed "what on earth? There's an app for stalking?"

"pretty much" he answered what was his name? Adam... Adrian... Aiden yes that was it. "you just take a picture and it tells you information about the thing you've taken a picture of" Said Aiden. Burgh, to think I had wanted to name our fake baby that. It made me feel sick now. It made me want to yell and punch something. Preferably, him. 

"see" he said snapping a picture of her "Facebook, Twitter, News articles, magazine covers, the works! It's the new hand held way to stalk someone anytime anywhere!" They both laughed and I narrowed my eyes glaring daggers at the back of his head. 

"well" giggled Olivia, taking his hand and dragging him further down the yard. My heart clenched "seeing as you've gone to so much trouble to find me, I think you deserve a little treat" She stopped and turned suddenly so that he crashed onto her. She reached up and hooked her arms over his neck bringing him down closer and closer and pressing her rosy lips to his.  

I stood up abruptly, and went inside. I couldn't take this. I had said that I wanted to be friends but I couldn't do it. Just seeing her kiss Aiden made the tears I had been fitting back since the car journey overflow. My head started spinning and my heart felt like it was being squeezed by a vice tighter and tighter in my chest making it hard for me to breath. I had to get out of here; I had to get away, far away. Anywhere, just not here. I started walking faster and faster until I was running through the maze of corridors, I found my way back to the party and stormed through the crowd people parting as I shoved my way through.

"NICKLE!" Olivia cried standing in front of me with her arms open. I stopped. Her hand went to her mouth "you saw" she whispered. I could barely hear her but I nodded fighting back more tears that threatened to emanate from my already red eyes. I grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the room, out the front door and down the long drive.

"I CAN'T DO THIS!" I finally yelled "You were right" I cried "I did say I love you Olivia I did! I love you. I have loved you from that first kiss. I love everything about you. I want to be with you for the rest of my life but I can't!" Olivia just stared at me, her eyes wide reflecting the moonlight. "And I can't just be friends with you; it would hurt so much to see you with anyone else besides me. I know you don't love me, I know you probably will never love me so we have to end this now. Completely" More tears came as I said this. It was the most painful experience of my life. I was icy cold despite the mild weather, my heart seemed to be slowing the more I talked and the beats were sluggish and ached as if it was an effort just to keep going. The tears felt like boiling water sliding down my stony cheeks.

Olivia just stood there. She didn't say a word, nor did she move a muscle. I looked into her eyes and saw tears shining. She nodded slowly.

"Now" She whispered, and before I had a chance to register what this could possibly mean, she let out an ear splitting scream, louder than my sobs from before, and collapsed. I caught her in my arms and let her gently fall to the ground. I heard running footsteps coming down the drive way.

"OLIVIA!" I heard her dad yell coming up to her side and kneeling down. Other people gathered around, whispering, putting their hands to their mouths.

"The baby" Moaned Olivia "there's something wrong with the baby!" understanding crept through my mind and grabbed my keys pointing them at my car and unlocking it. I scooped Olivia up in my arms and scurried over to it, hooking the handle of the back door and opening it. I carefully slid her down on the back seat. 

"WAIT FOR ME!" I heard my mum yelling as she climbed into the car resting Olivia's head on her lap.

"Mum?" She asked weakly

"yes that's right" my mum replied "I'm here sweety everything will be ok"

"I'm frightened" Olivia cried. I had to hand it to her she was a fantastic actress

"There, there" my mum whispered rocking her gently "there, there" I got into the drivers seat and set of the hospital Rylee worked in. As the traffic lights turned red up ahead I surreptitiously pulled out my phone and texted him what had happened on his emergency line. I gave up with the traffic light and just drove through it, this was taking to long. I just wanted this to be over. I was tired now. It had to end.

Word Count 1,454