Phantom Pain

"So Tess." I dangled my feet off the corner of her desk, "I have a question for you."

My best girl friend looked up at me through her long auburn hair. She pushed it out of her eyes and set the paper she'd been reviewing to the side of her desk. "Shoot."

I stared into my hands and twisted them around each other, suddenly feeling awkward. I knew she wouldn't understand what I was going through, but maybe she could help me figure out what to do. "If it were you in this situation, and - don't be biased 'cause you're already mated to Thad - but if you had two mates, and had to choose before the next full moon, which is in twenty-eight days, and you knew one of your mates would die, how would you choose and submit the other to death?"

"That was a lovely run-on."

I glare at her, "Seriously, Tess."

She holds up her hands in defeat and nods her head at me, indicting surrender. Cocking her head to the side, she taps a finger against her lip and bites a nail.

Frowning, she directly avoids looking at me, "You're not going to like my answer because it involves you getting to know them."

I gulp and shake my head. She's right, I don't want to get to know them because I don't want to get too attached before the full moon comes. I know it sounds vain, but how would to feel in my position?

If I get to know them, I'll know everything they're leaving behind and I won't be able to live with that. Not to mention, they'll die and won't get to live out their life.

I gesture for her to go on, all the while wringing my hands and chewing my lip. I don't want to hear it, but I asked for advice in the first place.

Tess begins slowly, "Well, read up on the matter, google search it, whatever, try to find out a way to get out of the death. But also get to know them; if you're forced to choose, if all else fails, you're going to have to have a sure answer."

I crease and un-crease my forehead, hating the way that when I smooth it out, it somehow bunches up again. The pain in my head worsens and I clutch my head in agony. My temple throbs and I look to Tess, I'm going to have to talk to her later. Now I needed to get something for this pain that wasn't going away.

I wave halfheartedly and exit her office, the pain in my temple almost unbearable. I race quickly to the pack nurse and she gives me an Advil and an ice pack. I was hoping she'd actually be able to do something more. If I'd known I wasn't going to have an aneurysm or something, I could have gotten an Advil myself.

Later though, well after the Advil should have worked, the phantom pain is worse than ever. I mind link Seth and let him know I won't be coming to help him through his paperwork and head back to the house.

Once inside, I stumble through the hallway, my head spinning terribly. I use my hand as a guide against the wall to keep me moving forward, but suddenly I can't see anything and my stomach heaves horribly. I fall to my knees, unable to cry out, unable to do anything but lay on the floor unmoving.

The last thing I see is the glass chandelier, though mounted to the ceiling, it looks like its floating above my head. Then the world goes black.

"Is she awake?"

"I want to see her! You have to let me in!"

"You can't, she's not stable."

"Sir. Sir! You can't go in there!"

I try to open my eyes but they are glued shut. I try to moan, but no sound escapes the lips I cannot feel. The only thing I can do is listen as a voice calls my name.