(12) Teen Life

Chapter 12

Outside

Bladen Smith

I woke to the sound of the alarm feeling a bit out of it. I had taken two of my pain pills last night after I took a shower and like usual they caused me to be drowsy. My leg wasn’t hurting at the moment but I knew it was going to as soon as I attached my prosthetic. My doctor said it would take a while before it stopped hurting but by a while I figured a month or two, it’s been more than six months and it still caused me extreme pain.

I laid until the second alarm went off, trying to put off facing today for as long as possible. When it went off about ten minutes later I sat up and stretched my arms. I thought the voice over the loud speaker would come on to tell me that I was late but nothing happened so I took my time.

I attached my false leg and as I expected it hurt like hell. When I was done I got dressed in a pair of jeans and a black t shirt. I had no idea what we were going to have to do today but I honestly hoped that it had nothing to do with searching for things or anything physical for that matter.

I left my room, closing the door behind me and made a quick stop at the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face before I headed downstairs.

Tailynn Greene

I sat up straight in my bed breathing heavily. I quickly looked around me and felt relieve fill my body when I saw that I was in my room. I didn’t really get much sleep last night, every time I closed my eyes I would see that thing in the mirror staring at me with its black eyes.

Lainey wasn’t in her bed and I really didn’t feel like being alone so I quickly threw on some clothes not caring how I looked and ran downstairs. I had an awful taste in my mouth and wanted nothing more than to brush my teeth but there was no way I was going into that bathroom.

I heard voices coming from the dining room and ran towards it. When I reached the entrance I slowed to a walk and entered the room. Everybody except for Diago and Storm was sitting around the table eating. They all stopped talking and turned around in their seats to stare at me as I walked towards the table and sat down on an empty chair.

Shiloh was sitting on the one side of me and the other side of me was empty.

“How are you feeling?” she asked and I could hear the sincerity in her voice.

“Better, I’m feeling better,” I answered, smiling at her. It wasn’t the truth but what was I supposed to say?

“Good, would you like something to eat?” she asked, gesturing to the food in the middle of the table.

“I guess,” I replied, getting up from the chair to get a plate and dish up for myself. I put a slice of bread on my plate as well as some bacon and scrambled eggs. The food smelled good but eating was really the furthest thing from my mind at the moment.

Brady Garcia

When we were all done eating we put away the leftovers in case Diago and Storm decided to still get up today. It wasn’t going to be warm but that is their problem. All of us helped clean the kitchen except for Rafeal who said it wasn’t a man’s job. He is such an asshole.

“I wonder what we are going to have to do today.” Noriko asked as we made our way out of the kitchen.

“I have no idea but I think we should have a look around the house while we can,” I answered, eager to see all the rooms I haven’t seen yet.

“I guess that’s a good idea, I would like to see the yard,” she replied, smiling shyly at me. I had no idea why such a pretty girl was so shy but I have to admit that I found it quite cute.

“Let’s go have a look then, we can check out the rest of the rooms later,” I said and watched as her face lit up.

The back door was in the kitchen so I walked over to it and unlocked it. The door made a scary creaking noise as I pulled it open. As soon as it was open a cold breeze filled the room, causing me to shiver and Noriko to fold her arms around her.

Noriko Pierce

As Brady opened the back door a cold breeze filled the room making me fold my arms around me in reaction.

“The wind is crazy outside,” Brady said, turning to face me.

“Yea, it’s cold,” I replied, taking a step closer to the door and looking outside.

“Do you still want to go look around?” he asked hesitantly, I don’t think he liked the idea much.

“Yea but you don’t have to come if you don’t want to,” I answered. I’ve always liked the outdoors and a bit of fresh air always made me feel better.

“No, I’ll come with you,” Brady said, stepping out of the kitchen and into the huge back yard. I followed after him and closed the door behind us.

“It’s more like a forest out here then a yard,” he commented, looking around and focusing his eyes on the huge trees that surrounded the house.

“It’s beautiful, I like it,” I replied, wondering how far the trees stretched before we would find the wall that held us inside.

“If you say so, come on lets go check out the pool,” Brady said, sounding excited for the first time. I shook my head in agreement and followed him over to the pool.

The pool was huge and next to it there was a little deck where we could sit around if we wanted too. It would have been a good place for the blondes to tan but I doubted that they would get any sun through the overgrown trees. The grass around the back door and swimming pool was cut short but the rest of the yard’s grass was overgrown. It looked like a forest, not a back yard.

“The water is cold,” Brady stated, pulling my attention away from the trees and back to him.

“I bet it is with this weather, I doubt that it ever gets any sun,” I replied, bending down next to him and feeling the water with my hand. He was right, the water was ice cold. What’s the point in having a pool if the water was so cold you wouldn’t ever be able to swim in it? I wondered to myself.