Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

They pulled out of the Station and watched the city of London slowly become smaller and less significant out the back window of the train as they progressed farther and farther into the countryside. They watched as the landscape around them slowly turned from the bustling city to rolling hills, which became greener and greener the longer they rode.

They traveled for many hours and watched the sun begin to set out of their window. The sky was illuminated with beautiful shades of pink and purple and then began to progressively turn darker. They could tell by the rocky mountains, which had once been rolling green hills, they were almost there.

Albus sighed. All he could do, now, was wait. The hat would determine his future and impact his entire life to come. The thought made him nervous. He could feel his eyelids becoming heavy and he struggled to keep them open, but his fatigue from worry took over. He drifted to sleep...

"Slytherin!" shouted the sorting hat.

Albus felt his heart nearly drop out of his chest. This could not be happening. There must be a mistake! However, there was no mistaking the cheers that erupted from the Slytherin table on the right of the Great Hall. Albus looked over to his brother. His brother couldn't believe it either. Albus reluctantly stood up and trudged his way over to the Slytherin table and took a seat next to Scorpius.

"Maybe you're not so bad after all," Scorpius said.

Albus couldn't bare to look at him. He just stared down at his plate filled with mashed potatoes, piled high with gravy and warm, flaky biscuits. In the center of the table he saw a deep, steaming dish of shepherds pie. All of the food looked mouthwatering and delicious, but Albus could not bring himself to eat. All he could think about was how awful the rest of his years at Hogwarts would be. The rest of the sorting continued, but Albus was not paying attention. His mind was somewhere else.

"Albus wake up!" James screamed, as he shook Albus.

Albus opened his eyes and looked around. He was still on the Hogwarts Express. By the look of it, most of the other kids had already left the train. The only people remaining aboard were Albus, Fred, James, Rose, and Grace.

"Thank God it was just a dream!" Albus exclaimed.

Rose and Grace were already dressed in their robes. James and Fred were pulling theirs out of their trunks.

"Come on," Fred said, "Everyone else has already left."

Albus pulled his trunk off of the overhead storage. He unlocked the latch and rummaged through his trunk to find his robe. He pulled it out and put it on over his clothes.

"Ready?" James asked.

"Ready," Albus replied. Albus flashed back to the conversation with his father.

Albus followed James, Fred, Rose, and Grace off the train and up to the castle.

"First years this way!" Hagrid called, trying to gather up the first years.

Albus and James ran over to him.

"'Ello Albus! 'Ello James!" Hagrid said, giving them a smile that showed through his long, mangled, grey beard.

"Hey!" Albus and James said in unison, as they both craned their neck to look up at the aged half-giant.

Albus and James both knew Hagrid very well. Their father had been very good friends with him even after Harry left Hogwarts.

Albus gathered with the rest of the first years and waited with Hagrid for their carriage to take them from the wizarding village of Hogsmead to the castle.