Chapter 8 The Final First Impressions.

We couldn't tear our eyes away from each other, although this time the world hadn't disappeared on my end. I wonder if he's going through the same thing I did. Beskytter was frozen like a statue, unblinking and maybe even unbreathing too. My heart was slamming against my ribs, trying to force me forward. The only thing holding me back was Natalia's presence. And I couldn't find the will to say anything, he seemed to struggling too. His throat undulated, his beak opened and closed repeatedly, and the crest had raised into a feathery frill like a mad rooster. He took turns to glance around with each eye but always left one on me. Is something wrong, is it me? Is he embarrassed, is he ashamed to have me!? Am I disappointed!? No, I can't let that happen, I have to-

"AAAAAAAAKAKAAKKAOOOOOO!!!!! I KNOW THAT LOOK, OUR DEAR FLEDGLING PRINCE HAS FOUND HIS PARTNER!!!" Sulphine howled with a voice so loud I felt it almost punched a hole in the vale, "FUNNY, LAST TO ARRIVE BUT STILL THE FIRST OF YOU LOT TO MAKE ANY PROGRESS!!

FRANKLY, IT'S ALMOST DISAPPOINTING, OR ARE YOU ALL JUST SHY!?

NOW... WOULD ANYONE OF YOU STEWARTS BE SO KIND AS TO OPEN THE GATES??" She said with a nonchalant voice, I didn't bother to look back at her. My mind was absolute in its goal, it's... Natalia, what are you doing? She gently pulled me away from the links and held both her arms forward.

"OH PLEASE, let me do it already!!' Natalia shouted back with exasperation and using a single great tearing motion of her hands, the lock to the gate was pulled apart and the doors swung open with blinding speed. The dragons and kids closest to the front jolted back, but Beskytter simply blinked, still transfixed on me.

"OOOOOOGGHHH!! IMPRESSIVE WORK, NATALIA RENEGADE!!!!

I EXPECTED NO LESS FROM YOU, I ASSUME THE WHITE-HAIRED KIT BENEATH YOU BELONGS TO THE PRINCE?" Sulphine said in a strangely jolly manner, of course, she knows Natalia. My friend's hands landed on my shoulders again, her grip heavy and firm as usual. Then she spoke with an almost parental aura, "Yes, and she is not in the mood for any long introductions so how about we wait till after we meet our soulmates?"

"AGREED, NOW THOSE OF YOU DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE GATE ARE FREE TO ENTER BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB OR OBSTRUCT YOUR PEERS IN ANY WAY!!

GGGRRRAAAGGGRRRAAAHHH!!!" Sulphine howled and the kids around us started to move, first, it was a few tentatively passing us by, staring nervously at their new companions ahead. They were soon overtaken by bolder individuals who marched through with a look of almost manic euphoria they could only contain until crossing the gate which lept and bounded into a full sprint. Soon the masses were by, and out there was the Prince my partner, body tense, tail swaying, his gazes still beckoning my soul towards him. Instinctively I stepped forward, but Natalia wouldn't let go instead she pulled me back. My efforts to pry off her fingers only succeeded in fastening her grip, ok this is getting too much!! Do you have to be annoying me, NOW!? I took a deep breath, ready to give her a piece of my mind.

"Natalia, of all the times you decide to be a thorn in my side, ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO DO THIS NOW!?" I break eye contact with Beskytter and snap around to confront her and..."N-Natalia... I... I didn't...What?"

She was crying, no more than that, she was weeping. Her eyes were heavy and soggy as tears trickled down her face, glistening the whole way like a mountain stream. Her face was flushed and scrunched into a pained grimace with her pointed ears drooping down. Her nose grew runny, and snot collected over her quivering lips. After all the time I shared a dorm with her, never had I seen Natalia cry. She may have shed a couple of tired tears after a long rest but she's never looked this upset, what could possibly... who am I to judge her? Lords know she's seen you sobbing in front of her, imagine how awful you must've been to make her cry!! And she called you a Princess!!