10. Jake (Nessie's POV)

I was really annoyed. I'd spent the rest of the day on my bed, reading, sleeping, and seriusly craving blood. But Carlisle had said that I had to eat all human foods until my leg healed up.

Trust me, I was mad.

And I hadn't seen Jake all day.

I hoped he wasn't still mad at me.

But I had been the logical one. He should be the one apologizing. He knew the Volturi probobly still wanted me dead. Or in their clutches to study and torture.

I grabbed my phone. I had to talk to Jake.

Where r u? I texted him.

I waited five whole minutes without an answer.

Im sorry.

Still no answer.

I wanted to rip out my hair.

He couldn't be that mad at me.

I dialed the number that I had long ago memorized by heart.

Three rings later his voice came on.

"Hey, this is Jake. I'm not here right now, so just say what you have to say really fast. Bye."

I'd never gotten his voicemail before. I almost wanted to cry. I hadn't done anything wrong. Why wouldn't he talk to me?

"Hi Jake, it's Nessie, please call me. Bye."

I hung up and flung my phone across the room. The case splintered and cracked when it hit the floor, but I didn't care. Tears of frustration ran down my face.

I just wanted to hug him, then touch my hand to his and show him it wasn't his fault, I was sorry, I forgave him.

He hadn't even come to visit me.

Tomorrow I had to go to school. I was happy the year was winding down. Four weeks till Rose, Emmett, and Jasper graduated.

Four weeks till summer vacation. That would pass as a flurry of time spent preparing for my wedding.

I went to sleep with that happy thought imprinted in my brain.

I woke up the next morning to see a pair of crutches propped up against my bed.

This was just great.

I grudgingly got out of bed and hopped over to my closet. Tacked on the door was a picture of me and my parents I'd drawn. I hadn't quite gotten my dad's nose right, and my mom's smile was on the artificial side. But I still loved it.

I jiggled the handle a bit until my door swung open, and I hobbled my way into my closet. I grabbed a blue tee and I slid a dark navy skirt on. Then I grabbed my crutches and headed downstairs for breakfast.

Nana Esme did a double take when she saw me. "What happened to you Nessie?" she exclaimed.

"I fell off the roof and broke my leg." It was true.

"Ouch." She slid a plate over to me.

"Have you seen Jake?" I asked eagerly.

"No, he's not home."

"Oh."

I picked at my eggs, pondering this.

Why wasn't he home? Where was he? Was he avoiding me?

"Do you know where he is?"

"No."

I spent the rest of my breakfast on mute, then managed to grab my bag and start out the door just as it started pouring.

Thunder boomed overhead as the sharp cold raindrops attacked my skin.

I moved as quickly as I possibly could towards the car and shimmied into the back seat. My sopping wet curls had to have soaked Alice's leather by now.

My mom came out a minute later, followed by Alice and Aunt Rose. Mom got in the back with me, Alice grabbed the mahogany steering wheel, and Aunt Rose and her giant bag managed to fit in the passenger seat.

The burning question on my mind was the first thing I asked them.

"Do you know where Jake is?"

Despite the rain pounding like gunshots on the car roof, they all heard me loud and clear.

"No." Alice said.

"He's gone?" Rose asked.

"Yeah."

"Mom? Please?"

"I have no idea."

This was just great.

We got to school pretty quickly, but if Alice didn't have super speedy reflexes, we would have been crushed by a tree twenty trees ago. We kept skidding, and her lightning reflexes were the only thing that kept our bright canary car on the road.

I got out, and the minute I clacked up to the doors, I headed to my locker.

Lizzie was there.

"What happened to you?" she asked. "Did you fall?"

"Yeah. I fell...out of a tree."

That made sense.

"Ouch. See you around, bye!"

Thanks for the great cover story.

I'd have to remember I'd fallen out of a tree? Piece of cake.

I walked off to first period with as much of a hop in my step as possible. Which was a lot.