Deleted Scene: Winter 1944-Spring 1945, Baseball & Outs

Summary:

Alternatively, the one where Bucky Egan has been struggling with being stuck in the Stalag. He hates being benched, he hates feeling like he's useless, and he hates the fact that his little sister is stuck in here with him—and there's not much he can do to protect her either. What good is he? So of course, Kathryn has to step in and remind him how important he is to her. Paired with a truly traumatic memory from being sent to the second Stalag, shortly after Kathryn's feet have begun healing—a particularly cruel guard doesn't believe women should be in the camp and attempts to cut her hair and undermine her femininity. Which of course is a recipe for disaster when Gale Cleven or Bucky Egan is around.

Notes:

A/N: This one does contain some triggering abuse that takes place, so please be aware of that! But otherwise, enjoy and let me know what you all think! Go check out chapter 5 of Mastermind :) And if you'd like to chat further about any of my OC's, any of my fics, etc., come chat with me on Tumblr at Luminouslywriting

Chapter Text

Kathryn hummed lightly as she sewed a stitch back in Tina's jacket. The thing had torn the week previous and though it was cold outside, they hadn't really had the time or the energy to stitch it back up and try to mend it. They were just lucky they had coats, really.

She had liked sewing, at least to some degree. Back before the war, back before laundry and washing things made her hands sore and rough to the touch—it had been alright then. Now, Kathryn wasn't so sure.

"Hey Kath?"

Kathryn glanced up, finding a pensive Captain John Brady lingering in the doorway and gaze steadily trained on the windows. He seemed uneasy as he stared at something. "Yeah?" Kathryn asked curiously.

"He's at it again."

Letting out a huff of air, Kathryn locked eyes with Buck. "Your turn or mine?"

"I checked on him last time. He didn't seem all too thrilled by the lack of my baseball enthusiasm," Buck answered in a slight mumble, taking notes on the pad in front of him.

She gave a nod, handing the jacket over to Annie. "Well you know what they say."

"What do they say?" DeMarco questioned, giving a puff of his pipe as he glanced in her direction. Given the fact that it was the third time this week her brother had descended into madness outside by playing a fictional game of baseball, she didn't entirely blame the skepticism that existed within the cabin.

"If sanity doesn't bring someone back from the brink of madness, send in a crazier menace than the first and that should do the trick," Kathryn answered, squaring her shoulders as she rose to her feet and crossed from the room.

"Good luck!" Crank mumbled out, shaking his head as Kathryn exited the semi-warmth of the hut.

The sun was rapidly descending outside and her brother stood alone, mumbling out plays and walking from imaginary base to imaginary base. To her credit, Kathryn wasn't fazed by this particular behavior of her brother's. He had been through hell and had been dealt a shit hand. She couldn't blame him for clinging to something safe and normal to try and get him through it all.

They all had their vices, their secret dreams and hopes that were keeping them going. His were just a little more outwards than the rest of theirs.

"So does this mean I'm up to bat?" Kathryn questioned, lounging onto the imaginary field. She took careful notice of the guards watching them and laughing at the interactions, the way that her brother just looked so— beaten down and exhausted by it all . She didn't like seeing him this exhausted.