22 | Solarballs Rant(?)

A/N: Hiya, everybody! Heads up, some of these WILL have blood in them. I also slightly bash certain portrayals of characters, so keep that in mind. This also has mentions of suicidal thoughts, toxic relationships, and depression. Please proceed with caution while reading this, I don't want anyone to become upset reading this.

Simp Pings List:
Dedicated to the down bad readers who thirst over certain characters.

SmurfleTheSmurf For Ceres, Hades, Earth, Iris, and Mars being mentioned
Red_RodamrixOfficial For Ceres being mentioned
-Siegh-  For Hades and Ceres being mentioned

I really, really don't like Iris x Earth. If we're talking about GHE x Solarballs. I know that I, myself, have an AU of mine where Iris is a... "lawfully good" planet (I'd suggest checking out those chapters to get a better idea of it). But shipping  GHE Iris— like, the one who mutated Earth— and Solarballs Earth who loves his earthlings more than anything is downright toxic.

Sure, there are AU's where Iris is a good person! Or at least not mutating Earth or Neptune. Most of these are great! The ones I have an issue with is where Iris is painted in a good light, not for story purposes, but just so he can get shipped with Earth and Neptune.

For example, let's use Iris from my HP au that I mentioned earlier. He's best friends with Proto-Earth and genuinely loves Earth, as he's his godfather. He gets along with Mars and Venus, and protects them. He's not mutating Earth nor Neptune here. Sounds like a good person, right? But in the early days of the Solar System he ruthlessly bullied others along with Proto and he didn't feel remorse for any of it. He never apologized, either. He might have not mutated Earth nor Neptune, but who's to say he didn't mutate or terrorize moons just for the fun of it?

He's not downright evil, he has some redeeming qualities, but he's not a good person either.

See the difference? While I'm still a person and totally respect varying opinions or constructive criticism, I do think it's a better way of portraying Iris, who's character literally is about being a cosmic entity planning on destroying humanity. It's all about a sliding scale. I do think you can make Iris a generally good/morally right person if you write it well enough— and for the story. Not just so you have an excuse to ship something that's originally VERY toxic.

In conclusion about GHE Iris x Earth? As @SmurfleTheSmurf said on of my discussion posts, Proto Earth x Theia actually SOLOS I fear.

About toxic ships: what if they're two villains/antagonists? That's different. If we're talking about villain power couples/duos or something along the lines of that, then here's what I think. Using my HP AU again, let's use Ceres and Hades as our example here. They're around the same cosmic age (4.5 billion years or so) and don't seem to see each other as family— hell, they haven't even interacted yet in the show.

Translating this to the AU itself, Hades is an irredeemable main antagonist who's killed countless of people. He doesn't feel remorse or regret. Ceres is a sardonic, crazed maniac who's forever loyal to Hades while also chopping it up with fellow Death-Eaters and killing people. These are both VERY terrible and pathetic people! But they still hold a mutual respect for each other. Ceres is exactly where he wants to be, he wasn't brainwashed or manipulated into being this way. Hell, the entire time while I was writing their story I was like: "goddamn you may as well call each other hot-lips". Their partnership (you can see it as either romantic or platonic) is genuine respect and care but what they're doing is very, VERY toxic and wrong.

Like, if you need proof of how much they care for each other, Ceres almost murdered Mars in a battlefield when Mars tore half of Hades' wing. Here's an excerpt from a draft of mine.

There's a sliding scale when it comes to this type of stuff, and it's important to separate fiction from reality

There's a sliding scale when it comes to this type of stuff, and it's important to separate fiction from reality. Ceres and Hades are fictional characters, and no one I've seen is idolizing Hades' OR Ceres' behavior as something to genuinely admire aside from simping for their designs and enjoying their dynamic. Ceres is fun, dramatic, and over-the-top because both canon Solarballs and I made him that way so naturally people like them. But no one is saying that it's good to be like Ceres or Hades, or that they're some sort of aspirational goal (I hope! If you are, we'll have words!).

On somewhat of the same topic, I don't like how people make Earth seem "emo" or "edgy" for being depressed or having suicidal thoughts. He's the exact opposite. He's charismatic, bright, outgoing, and is pretty full of himself. Most people with depression aren't emo. Being emo is a fashion thing, not a personality trait. It's disrespectful to paint depressed people as emo or as a stereotype.

Earth can hold his own too— looking at you, shippers— he uses others to boost his confidence but you can see him facing off against the moons by himself. Without any fear or hesitation. The only reason he chooses not to fight back physically is because, he says it himself, "no one else is getting hurt because of me."

I think something I've noticed with Marth, Vearth or people shipping all three of them together is that they tend to make at least one of the people in the relationship entirely dependent and reliant on the other. That's not how most healthy relationships work. At first, none of them are entirely healthy because Earth was a narcissistic jerk before his redemption; arc. But we can see he's improved, and Mars and Venus clearly enjoy his company as seen in the show. So this isn't slander to any of those ships, I like it!

I don't have much more to say, I just felt like this should've been mentioned since I've been seeing this. Feel free to disagree and give your reasons! I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions. Again, thank you all for listening and have a great time of day :)