A Train Ride In Brisbane

I woke up to the sound of cicadas that were just outside my window. They were accompanied by the strong smell of the frangipani tree. One that also resides outside be bedroom window is one things I missed about being in Brisbane. What hit me most was the sun streaming through my bedroom window, landing directly on my face that was the source of my awakening. I was definitely back in Brisbane. After spending 2 years living in Ireland with family I was back home in Brisbane and with only two days before school was to start for 2013, I have to say I was really nervous. What would everyone be like? Was everyone the same? Who changed? And on my mind the most? What became of the boy who captured my attention from the first day of high school?

As I headed down stairs to start my day, I could hear nothing but cicadas and the birds, the house was empty. And even though I've been back for a few weeks now, it still felt kind of... weird. Standing in my living room with the rug that has been in the house since before I was born, the table that Mum and Dad found at a garage sale about five years ago, that has about a million chips and scratches but they won't get rid of it because they love it, and the old bookshelf filled with family photos, my school photos and even the odd book.  After walking around my house a bit more I decided to go for a train ride. I don't know why but whenever I felt homesick or was nervous or worried a train ride always made me feel better. I never had a destination or a plan I Just got on a train and wherever I ended up that's where I'd spend my day. I never knew why it calmed me it just did.

Walking out the front door of my house I turned around and studied it for a while. This house. The one I lived in for fifteen years before moving away to Ireland. It's a two story house, it's a cream coloured weatherboard house, not unlike the others on our street.

It's only a quick walk to the train station I take out my phone, plug in my headphones and start listening to 'Wings' by little mix, One of my all-time favourite songs. As I got closer to the train station I pulled out my wallet ready to buy my ticket for the next train that will be at the station, It didn't matter where it was going, I had no destination. The train Station has changed a lot in two years. The tunnel leading up to the platforms was now decorated in murals of anything and everything and the front now held a garden and a bus stop. It's funny how much yet how little can change over time.

I looked down the track and saw the train that will be my safe haven for the next few hours pulling into the station. I still had no idea where it was going. As I stepped on I saw a boy well not a boy but a guy my age sitting in the seat next to the door with his headphones in and his nose stuck in a book 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbomsky, and he looked familiar. He looked up and we made eye contact. I quickly looked away and found a seat. I then pulled out my own copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. While his looked fairly new mine, was worn and a little torn from travel. I stole a look at the guy and saw him looking at my book with a small smile. He had nice smile his teeth weren't perfectly straight but they weren't crooked either, he had light blue eyes and dark blonde hair. He was wearing dark wash jeans, a plain white t-shirt and a pair of all black converses. I thought he was mad I mean it's the middle of summer and he's wearing jeans. After realising that I had been staring at him for a that little bit too long, I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks. At this, his smile grew bigger making his eyes crinkle and the corners. Such a cute smile. I looked back down at my book and started reading. I was so engrossed in my book that I didn't notice a person and come down and sit beside me. I turned to my right and saw the guy moving his lips, but couldn't hear what he was saying over my music.

"Sorry" I said pulling out my headphones. "What'd you say?"

He chuckled "I said your book looks a bit worn out" he said with amusement sparkling in his eyes.

"Oh yeah" was my genius reply. "I've read it a few times; it's one of my favourite books".

"Yeah it's a really good book" He said smiling making his eyes crinkle at the corners.

"Sorry, I didn't catch your name, I'm Lilly" I said holding out my hand for him to shake. He looked down at my hand with amusement, took it in his and said "Hi, I'm River". That's when it hit me, he's the boy from my first day at high school.

"Ah I see you remember me now" He said still smiling.

"You know who I am?" I questioned.

"Yep you're Lilly Danes and you just came back from Ireland" he said looking happy with himself.

"And you're River Auburn and you...." I trailed off.

"Just ran into my missing mystery girl" he said smiling "So tell me what Ireland was like".

"Only if you tell me where this train is going" I said smiling up at the boy who might just have my attention for the rest of high school........

A/N

This is a story. tell me what you think