Telling The Grandparents Part 2

Sutton took a deep breath. Deacon squeezed her hand and said, "I'm right here. It's going to okay. We've got this."

The two of them walked into the house. Dana said, "Sutty! Did you tell us that you were coming home?"

Sutton told her, "No, mama. I needed to come home."

"Are you okay?"

"I need to talk to you and dad."

"Come on in. We'll sit down in the living room. Your dad is already in there,"

The three of them went into the living room. Barrett said, "Hey princess. What is going on? I didn't know that you were coming home."

"I needed to come home and talk to you and mama."

"What is going on?"

"I'm pregnant."

Dana gasped and said, "You are?"

"I am. I've seen them. I heard the heartbeat."

"Oh my. A baby."

"Two babies."

"Two babies?!"

"Yes."

"Oh Sutton."

Sutton started sobbing. "I know! I messed up. I messed up everything. I just wanted you to know. I'm only about 8 weeks. I guess there is a chance that they may not stick, but I really hope they do. I didn't want to keep this from you guys. I'm scared and I need you, if you can get past how much I have disappointed you."

Barrett said, "Deacon, I'm glad that you and Sutton are friends and that you are here to support her, but I think this is something that we need to speak about alone."

Deacon grabbed Sutton's hand and said, "I have a vested interest here. I'm not going to leave Sutton to do this alone."

"What do you mean you have a vested interest in this?"

"The babies are mine."

"Excuse me?"

"We are having twins. I'm going to be here for Sutton every step of the way."

"When did the two of you start seeing each other?"

Sutton was about to say they weren't when Deacon said, "It's still fairly new. Things are going much faster than we expected them to."

"No joke."

Sutton said, "Daddy..."

"No. The two of you know better."

Deacon told him, "You know I would let anything happen to myself before I hurt Sutton. I would never hurt her on purpose and I am going to do everything I can to help her and our kids. All three of them."

Dana said, "Honey, twins is two babies."

Deacon chuckled and said, "I know. I just found out that I have a little girl. Mom and dad are watching her. I thought this might be a conversation best held without her."

Barrett exclaimed, "You have another kid?!"

"I do. I just found out about her this week as well. I am doing everything I can to be the person that Sutton needs, as well as the little girl and the babies. This is not what I imagined my life becoming, but I know that all of this is happening for a reason."

"This is crazy."

Sutton was still crying as she said, "I'm sorry."

Deacon said, "I think we should get out of here. S, you have had a big day. It's about time for Daisy to go to bed."

She sniffled. "You are right." She turned to her parents, "I really am sorry. I hope that you can forgive me." Deacon wrapped his arm around her and led her out of the house.

Deacon kissed the top of Sutton's head and said, "I am so proud of you. You went in there and did something that was hard. Our babies are so lucky to have you as their mom. You are giving up so much to make sure that they stay safe and healthy. I'm lucky that you are going to be the mom to my kids. I just hate that Daisy isn't going to have that."

Sutton looked up at him and asked, "Why did you say that we were together?"

"I thought it would make things better. I didn't realize that they were going to be that upset. I'm sorry."

"I'm just glad that you are here, but D I'm struggling."

"What can I do to help?"

"I don't know. This is hard."

"Then let me take some of it off of you. I appreciate all that you have been doing to help with Daisy, but you have more than enough on your plate as it is. I can figure things out."

"I like spending time with her, as long as you are okay with it."

"Of course I'm okay with it. S, you are the best person I know. I know that Daisy is safe with you. I just don't want you to stress. You are having twins."

"You are too. You are playing football. You have classes."

"But I am the one that got myself in this position. I'm just lucky that you are my best friend and you still like me even when I do stupid stuff."

Sutton put her hands on her stomach. "You think they are stupid?"

"Of course not. I could have waited a while before I got people pregnant and became a dad. But this is the least dumb thing I have ever done. I just hate that I have brought so much hurt to you."

"I just want you to know that I would do anything for them. I love them already."

"So do I. I just want to make that very clear to you."

"I just don't know why you would tell my parents are together."

"I just thought that Barrett would take it better if we said we were together instead of saying that we were drunk."

"Oh." Sutton's heart sank. She was hoping that Deacon was beginning to see her like she had seen him for as long as she could remember. She didn't know what hurt more, knowing that he still saw her as only a friend or knowing that her parents were so upset with her.

The two of them got Daisy from Deacon's parents. It was a silent ride as they made their way back to campus where Sutton barely managed a muttering to ask Deacon to drop her off at her dorm.