Home

My intention was to talk to Garrick about Gayle as soon as he came to our room that night, it truly was. But we had missed way too many nights together during our time apart and the moment that he crossed the threshold into our bedroom, I was throwing myself at him and he was meeting me exactly where I was. We clawed each other's clothes off in desperate pulls and I tried to keep my moans down, reminding myself that Garrick’s sister was just on the other side of the thin wall. At a certain point I stopped caring though, as Garrick’s lips and tongue found my bare skin in all of my favorite spots. We had been together long enough now that my husband knew about that spot on the bottom of my throat that would send chills down my spine if he licked me there, and the same went for my knowledge of his body.  We could both play each other like our favorite instrument, knowing exactly how to elicit the sounds that we wanted to from one another.

      Hours later we lay in our small bed with the blankets kicked off and a cool breeze blowing in through the window. The sound of wings and the occasional dragon snort crept in through the open window and broke the silence in the room as we lay naked in each other’s arms and stared into each other’s eyes.
“The weather is going to be cooling here soon.” Garrick whispers to me as he runs his fingers over my forehead moving my curls that had fallen there out of the way.
“I miss the cold, will there be snow?” I ask softly, leaning into his touch.
Garrick shook his head slowly, “No. It won’t be winter like up north, but it will be cold.”
I smile up at him, trying to hide my disappointment. “Cold will be nice. By the way, we should probably talk about Gayle.”
Garrick raised one eyebrow at me, “What about Gayle?”
I grew quiet for a moment too long, long enough that Garrick began to sit up out of concern. I pressed my hand to his chest and eased him back down on the bed, “It’s fine. She’s fine. It’s just something I noticed, what with all of my sisters and all.”

    Garrick still looked at me confused, but seemed to relax. “Go on…..”
“I think that Gayle may be… just a little bit…. boy crazy.” I say trying to keep my face serious and keep myself from laughing.
Garrick’s face looked shocked, “Boy crazy? My little sister? Why do you say that?”
I reach up and stroke Garrick’s arm calmly, “Just some things that she said, and well, the fact that she was flirting mercilessly with Ridoc.”

     Now there was no way to keep Garrick from jolting upright in bed, “What do you mean flirting with Ridoc?” My darling husband had gone into full blown over protective big brother mode. He tried to climb over me and get out of the bed, “I need to talk to her.”
I can no longer hold my laughter in and it tears out of me, causing Garrick to turn around and look at me with the most indignant and disgusted look on his face. “It must be 2 in the morning, you can’t talk to her right now, ” I explain.
Garrick whips around to look out the window, and notes that the moon is high in the sky and millions of stars twinkle in the darkness. “Then I will go have a few choice words with Ridoc.” He says making his way to the bedroom door, naked as the day that he was born.

       “No!” I exclaim, still laughing, and wishing that he was wearing a shirt so that I had something to grab onto. “My love, you can’t kill Ridoc. You definitely can't kill Ridoc naked. What would people say!?” I leap onto my husband’s back to try to slow him from reaching the door. 
Garrick, who in his defense wasn’t expecting a muscular adult woman to jump from our bed onto his back, went down to one knee and I went with him. We tumbled down to the ground in a comical way and finally Garrick met my laughter with his own. We lay on the ground by the door to our bedroom and laughed so hard that I struggled to catch my breath, my sides literally hurt and my eyes watered. I looked over at my husband, who’s shoulders bore more weight than I would ever know as Riorson’s right hand man and my heart swelled as I watched him roll on the ground laughing. Maybe, even in the face of war, we could still find this kind of happiness and normalcy.

     BANG BANG BANG went a fist against the wall to our right. Through the wall we heard Gayle’s muffled voice, “I don’t know what kind of weird stuff you guys are into over there but I am trying to sleep!” Garrick and I fell into another overwhelming fit of laughter all over again, much to Gayle’s discomfort.
Another muffled voice joined the noise in our room then, "Look, I fully support whatever weird stuff your into, but we have a meeting at dawn Tavis." Xaden didn't necessarily sound irritated, so much as overly tired as he yelled at us from the opposite wall of Gayle's.
"Amen!" Yelled a half asleep sounding Violet.
Garick covered his face with his hands and tried to stifle his laughing, "Man, the castle had way thicker walls than this. I'm going to have to get used to living in an old manor house again."
I sighed as I crawled up my husband's body and nestled into his chest right there on the floor. My parent's house had been an old manor house, but I had never had any laughter to try to keep down there. For the first time in my life I was deliriously happy, and Riorson House felt like home.