Uprooted Roots

Your bag held little to no snacks nor enough water. Clean water. If you find the river again, would you be able to make clean water from it? Be able to strip all bad minerals and muk to create drinkable clean water? You didn't know. This ability was still unknown to you. You're not even sure where you're going. This was nowhere recognizable to you. Once far away, surely far enough from the ape colony, following the sun till it sets, did you fail to listen to the danger coming your way.  All that was silent was broken by its roaring engine.

Due to sitting behind a big thick tree, the bag opened, and searching around paused to remain as silent as ever. A random vehicle approaches, engine roaring with life, burning fuel, and breaking sticks, and park on the other side of that very tree.

Peeking out you spot three man hop out of their truck. Each held a gun and blade sharpe and deadly...

"We shouldn't be this far in."

"Oh hush! Are you scared of those pea sized monkey brains? Ya pussy."

"Calvin!Brett! Shut the fuck up and go hunt! Anything will do.." The boss was heading the opposite way, north wards, the two bickering less now "We are here to feed our families. Not act like children."

The two of them grumble. Not long each venture their own way. One south and another east. Nothing near you but the truck alone.

.

.

.

.

.

You were raised not to steal. But at this moment, it was now or never.

Making it to the driver side door, peeking out to see if anyone returns, climb up the truck step rail to see what is inside. Inside were many water bottles, large ones, and what looks to be chips and apples. Seeing this, you're opening the door without hesitation. Once open, your plan backfires as a loud blaring horn goes off.

You need to run. And that you were doing after snatching whatever was nearest to you.

Little legs running back from where they came, big foot steps and labor breathes caught up to the small orphan child. As you ran, shoving all the food and water in your bag, ran till you trip over an up rooted tree root. With held your scream as you harshly roll down the hill at full speed. Little arms cover your head and face as your small form tumbles down without stopping.

Once stopped, the world spinning and unbalanced in every way possible, soon got back up to run off again. That was for a good few moments till your form collapsed behind a tree with a hollow hole at the trunk of the roots. Leaning in more and more as the noise of those men grow louder.

"You think it was those ape fuckers? Stealing our lunches?"

"Nah. Those sucker's are smart enough to come in herds, not solo."

A twig, not on the ground, but above yourself, snaps. Drawing your full attention from the three gun welding men. Immediately, your eyes land on an entirely different ape. He looked to be calm. Friendly and aware. Way better than yourself right now.

That very ape climbs down without much noise. Once down, aware of what you're hiding from, began to push aside the loose locks of messy hair out of your face. Scanning the child for anything out of the ordinary. Once done, fully out of your face, scooped up the small dizzy being to only climb  back up the tree within seconds. Far up and away from danger.

He had sat down on a thick branch, keeping hold of the human child jacket in one hand, the two observing those three men below..

Then the trees roar with life. The same earth shaking feeling did not belong to a earth quake. It was the apes.