11. MR.CEO

🎶 Kab bhala abb yeh waqt gujare
kuchh pata chalata hi nahi
Jabase mujhako tu mila hai
hosh kuchh bhi apana nahi 🎶

SHREYA

The building stood tall and imposing against the backdrop of the city skyline. Its architecture was a blend of modern sophistication and functional design, with floor-to-ceiling windows reflecting the urban landscape. A grand entrance adorned with polished metal and glass welcomed visitors, while the company's logo proudly adorned the facade, a beacon of its presence in the corporate world. The structure exuded professionalism and success, inviting all who passed by to glimpse the bustling activity within its walls.

Sitting in my uncle's rolls-royce cullinan car, facing the imposing building, I'm gripped by a paralysis of courage. Returning to India feels like a confrontation with my own past, each corner holding echoes of what I left behind, what I failed to protect.

The weight of memories bears down on me as heavily as it did outside Kabeer's house. It's as though invisible hands are tightening around my throat, suffocating me with regret and longing. In this moment, breathing feels like a luxury I can't afford, as if a veil of despair has descended upon me, obscuring everything but the pain.

But why do I feel this way?

Ignorance, they say, is bliss, and for eight years, I shielded myself from the truth, cocooned in a false sense of security.

Now, as I confront the ghosts of my past, I realize that leaving India was never an escape-it was a temporary reprieve from the inevitable. The struggles of New York, the daily battle for survival, they paled in comparison to the gaping wound left by our parents' death, the constant fear for our safety.

As I sit in the car, grappling with emotions too raw to name, I understand that this journey is not just about returning home-it's about facing the demons I've long tried to outrun.

"Let's go," a voice said, distant yet oddly familiar. It takes me a moment to register-Ranbeer. But why does his voice seem so far away? My mind feels clouded, my senses dulled.

A firm grip on my hand startles me, pulling me out of the haze. I focus on Ranbeer's worried face, his eyes reflecting genuine concern. "Shree," his voice breaks through the fog, tinged with urgency. "Breathe, Shree, breathe. Please." It's then that I realize-I'm not breathing. Panic sets in as I struggle to draw air into my lungs. Why can't I breathe? Oh God, I can't breathe!

Ranbeer's voice cuts through the chaos, his words a lifeline in the darkness. "Look at me. What happened? We're okay. What do I do? What happened? Why you look pale -"

"Kabeer" I blurted out, the name escaping my lips like a desperate plea.

"He's inside. He's fine," Ranbeer reassures me, his voice steady despite the tremor in his hands. "Do you want to go..." His words trail off as I continue to gasp for air, each breath a struggle against the suffocating weight pressing down on my chest.

Time seems to stretch into eternity as I fight to regain control of my breathing. Slowly, agonizingly, the haze begins to lift, replaced by a clarity that borders on painful. With each shaky inhale, I feel myself returning to the present, the darkness receding to reveal the familiar contours of the car interior.

Finally, blessedly, I draw in a deep, steadying breath, the rush of air filling my lungs like a lifeline. Ranbeer's worried expression softens as he watches me, his hand still clasped tightly around mine. "There you go," he murmured, relief evident in his voice. "You're okay."