Chapter 5 - Liquid Mistakes

The air swelled with an uncharacteristic warmth, brought on by a sudden shift in Mother Nature's mood. A forecast that once bemoaned the cold took a hard left, as the sun gifted heat to much of Maine.

Accompanying this change, the sidewalks were occupied, as Friday morning chugged along like a locomotive. But beyond the uptick in pedestrian traffic that Raj caught a glimpse of, and merged into as he headed out of the community center.

He'd seen an increase in the number of coffee cups, and baked goods hovering around. Everywhere he went, he could find the trace of an incriminating croissant, or a handful of plump lady fingers.

It was as if the community's baking economy had sparked to life, and Raj figured that it was the competition's doing. Or it could've been the norm, who's really to say.

Walking past the two story house-turned vet clinic, being opened by a gray haired old lady in a lab coat. Raj crossed the road after waiting for a couple cars to drive by, and on the other side he walked past a bungalow where the garage was opened – revealing a rambunctious family of 6. Tumbling in, and spilling out of a station wagon, with the two eldest souls, the frilly haired brunette and her modestly lanky spouse. Fixed up the kid's outfits, and ensured everyone wore seatbelts.

The father glanced Raj's way, and smiled before waving. Raj waved back, when one of the kids broke free of his belt and ran off like a mad man with his progenitor giving chase.

Wincing, Raj continued his walk. Moving past Stitches 4 Witches, to which he owed his new hoodie to. An article of clothing presently absent, thanks to the weather.

'What is this weather?' Raj found himself thinking, as he rounded a corner and passed two guys chatting and gorging on two slices of funnel cake.

Up ahead Raj arrived at his destination, a library standing on the border of a vast forested patch of greenery. Entombed by a rectangular ring of buildings.

'Western Public Library' Raj thought, reading the wooden sign in his head that erected out of the ground. Next to a cobblestone walkway that led to a set of old wooden steps, and porch which housed the front entrance.

At a glance, the library stood out from every other building. It was large for only being one story, and echoed with a gothic style. But more noticeably, it lacked the notable hallmarks of having once been a house.

Something that not even the local grocery store could escape from.

Stepping inside, Raj walked across a carpeted floor. Greeted by a sight of shelves off to his right, and an L-shaped counter to his left. A reception of sorts, with a bulletin board on the wall beside it.

'Anybody home?' Raj wondered, as he walked over to the bulletin board and scanned it with interest.

There was a newspaper clipping regarding that dastardly raccoon, an unofficial warning issued by the police. Eliciting a bemused smirk on Raj's face, as he shifted his gaze onto the garishly 2000's ad for the end-of-the-month star gazing event, hosted by the local astronomy club.

Promising a good time, and cookies for anyone willing to come.

Raj smiled at the prospect, then frowned at the mention of cookies. Anger flaring through his veins at the image of the tiny red head that'd been swindling him of his hard earned money.

"Hello, is there something I can help you with?"

Raj jolted in place, as he snapped to the source. Coming face to face with a tall woman, one head taller than he was. Standing behind the counter dressed in a beige gown, with broad shoulders and lighter toned sleeves.