Chasing Jamie Williams - Chapter 1

"Hey Mason!" Miles Lewis chirped, messy, brown hair flying in all directions as he flew out of his seat, beckoning me over. I threw on my best attempt at a supermodel duckface and sauntered over to the rotting, wooden lunch table, with Carter Murphy draped over my shoulder. Carter was the new girlfriend. It's part of the job description - populars gotta have girlfriends. Carter was certainly clingy. Not that that really mattered, because she was absolutely hot. Long, platinum blonde hair, big, blue eyes, dotted with gold specks, skinny as hell, but still had massive boobs and a great behind. I can't say I'd choose to spend my life with her, she's hot and all but she's a stereotypical "Mean Girl" and to be honest, we'd just end up with a million and two children.

I lowered myself down onto the damp seat in between Miles and Carter to find it was still slightly wet from this morning's downpour. "Hey guys," I yell, everyone turning at the sound of my voice, some lazily lifting their hands for a half hearted wave, others gave what they called "The Casual Nod", before returning to their boring conversations and munching loudly on their lunch.

Carter then lifted her hand and started running her long, thin fingers through my short, burgundy hair. "So... You have anything planned tonight?" She asked, in her best attempt to be seductive.

A laugh bubbled up in my chest. "Not yet, why?" I replied, planting a small kiss on her nose, causing her to wrinkle her nose in that cute way, accompanied by a small giggle.

"The Parentals are flying out to Austria and I'm gonna be lonely," Carter said, pouting. She stuck out her soft bottom lip, and you could see the difference between her natural, luscious pink lips and the painted red ones she wore every day.

"And?" I teased, a smirk playing on my face.

"I want you to keep me company," Carter paused for a moment. "Please," she added.

"Of course, darling," I reply, using the best posh, Brittish accent I could muster. A low growl emitted from my stomach, reminding me I hadn't had any lunch today. "I'm gonna go grab some lunch. Be right back," I said, grabbing my dirty, faded blue bag and winking at Carter as I left her to have an awkward conversation with Miles.

Usually the line for the old and faded-grey canteen could wind itself around the boundary of the school, multiple times, but it wasn't that bad today, considering it was "Cheap Tuesday", an adapted version of Dominos Pizza "Cheaper Tuesday". There wasn't much on offer at the greasy canteen counter, over cooked chicken burgers, frozen solid muffins, or slightly warm Pepsi. Great. I grabbed the warm Pepsi, and proceeded to pay the short and stubby brunette wandering aimlessly inside the canteen, possibly her safe haven from angry, hormonal teenagers mad that she couldn't do her job properly.

After finally getting the brunette's attention, I left, glad to be leaving the slime-ball that was the school canteen. Out of the corner of my eye, a blonde head caught my eye, seated on the cold, metal seats next to the yellow bike shed. Her hair fell in messy waves down either side of her face, stopping abruptly at her shoulders, her nose and cheeks dotted in small freckles, mousey brown eyes trained on a book in her lap, and half an eaten lettuce and cheese sandwich sitting on a scrunched up throne of cling-wrap. I must've been staring for a second too long, because the moment I turned around, Carter was there. She was the jealous type, and probably thought I was crushing on this girl.

"There's a party, Thursday night. You're expected. Be there," she was giving me the cold shoulder, her icy glare passing right through me, shooting daggers at the small girl behind me. She turned on her heel, and with one last stony glance behind her, disappeared into the masses rushing off to class. Didn't even hear the bell go.

****

"No! I was hoping she died!" Owen's desperate cries rang out, his black mop of hair fell forward and his dark brown eyes trailed up to the doors of C Block, where a plump woman was hobbling down the stairs. She was wearing a knee-length purple-brown skirt, attempting to hide the large scars that ran down her legs, crossing over with the spidery veins crawling across her legs. An off-white blouse covered in lace, frills and ruffles and a wrinkled scarf were draped over her top half, and slivers of grey poking through her mess of brown hair.

"My class! Twelve English one!" Her shrill voice cried out, sending 30 groans her way. She began hobbling back up the stairs, the class following her like mindless sheep. We'll all be mindless sheep after this... Ugh... A sharp push and Owen, Charlie and Jackson dash past me, determined to reserve the back row of the musty classroom. Usually I'd be pushing people aside and running with them too, but today I really wasn't bothered.

I continued to trudge up the stairs, and strutted over to my reserved seat, next to the overexcited Owen. The teacher, Ms. Jones, took her place at the centre of the dusty room, under a large projector and in front of the dirty whiteboard, stuck to the faded peach walls.

"Ahem.. Class. I have an assignment I need to give you and I intend to finish this before the bell goes," she began waddling around the classroom. "This assignment is to be done in pairs, and I've written you and your partner's names at the top of each sheet. No changing pairs either! I've documented everyone's pairs."

She continued waddling around, when she reached Charlie, and handed him a piece of paper. "Yes! I'm with Grace!" Charlie exclaimed, shoving a pice of paper in my face.

Charlie Crawford.

Grace Ryan.

Grace was Charlie's current girlfriend and they did everything together, including this assignment apparently.

Ms. Jones finally made her way over to me, a crinkled piece of paper held in her fat fingers. She put it down on my desk, looked at me and walked away. Eagerly I picked up the piece of paper, and read the two names scrawled in cursive font in the top corner.

Mason Adams.

Jamie Williams.

Jamie Williams? Who's Jamie? And then it hit me. Jamie Williams. The cute girl from lunch. The smartest girl, no doubt in this room, possibly in this whole school. Yes! I was stuck with the smartest girl here for an English assignment. That has to at least be a guaranteed pass. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I was starting to think maybe Ms. Jones didn't hate us after all.

Until I read the assignment.