Sacrifice, part one

"Don't understand them. Never have," Kalvar said. "They shrug away a mage spawned khraga, no offence Ma'am," he nodded at Gring who bared her tusks in return, her version of a smile, "but a woman in command has them take leave of their brains."

"You had better apologize to the lady anyway. Mage spawned and khraga in one sentence was twice uncalled for." Trindai smiled. Gring wouldn't take offence where none was meant, but Major Terwin could do with the occasional reminder of politeness.

Kalvar reddened slightly. "I apologize Ma'am. That was rude. Not many mage spawns nor khraga where I come from." He had a twinkling star in his eye. The only man Trindai knew who was able to smile from his eyes down to his lips.

"Good thing you have both honour and bravery. One could mistake you for a true warrior-born human." Gring showed even more tusk.

Kalvar visibly straightened, and Neritan, who had been silent this far, filled the tent with laughter. Trindai soon drowned it with a happy roar of his own.

"What?" Kalvar sagged slightly in his chair.

Darkness, but she's a quick study. "You've been had man, twice, and you didn't even notice it!" Trindai rose and slapped the major on his shoulders. "Who'd known. Not a mere imperial major this one, but rather a fierce khragan warrior."

Kalvar darkened, but then he lit up again and shrugged. "I deserved that, I did. I'll buy us a bucket of ale when we pass Lianin's wagon next time."

"Good to see some good use of your shiny coins," Gring answered, and then she managed to show even more of her tusks, a sign that she wasn't finished by far yet, "but what will you have to drink?"

"Eh?"

"You mean to share a single bucket? Maybe not a warrior after all."

Trindai saw the tent flaps pulled aside and made room for Captain Weinak and Major Berdaler as they entered.

"I thought we were called to a war council," the latter said.

Trindai moved aside to give Ingeld Berdaler the full worth of Kalvar's stricken face.

The tent exploded in another round of laughter.

Trindai waited for the mirth to settle down. They had deserved a good laugh, needed on. "This is a war council I'm afraid," he said, and at once the friendly banter was gone and he faced the stern expressions he'd come to recognize. Unholy gods, but they're tired! "We have a problem with the outworlders."

That met with more surprise than consternation.

"From what I've seen Major Goldberger runs a superb command," Ingeld suggested.

"He does. Not a problem with personnel. Logistics." Trindai dug his fingers into his beard. More ash than earth in there now, he thought. Same with my hair as well. I'm growing old. "The hovercraft will run until long after we're all dead, Mindwalker Hwain excepted, of course," he added guiltily, "but the body walkers they use aren't as sturdy. They fuel them from the hovercraft but small parts of the machines are breaking down and they have almost no spare parts left."

Nakora stared blankly, but Kalvar came to her rescue. "So they need to resupply. When are they leaving?"

"Leave? They can't leave." Nakora suddenly looked scared.

And you have reason to. "That's our best scouts and screen," Trindai agreed. "Strange how fast you take outworlder wonders for granted." He gave Nakora an unhappy look. Seems I can't see you in that uniform for a while, and now for the worst. "They were sent here. Somehow. Still doesn't make them our soldiers. I'd commit treason if I allowed them to enter Keen unescorted."