Chapter One

The flags were raised high into the dark night sky, flapping and swaying proudly in the wind. The prominent tricolour showing that Falls Road is strictly republican territory. The full moon and the thousands of twinkling stars shining down on the green white and gold making me feel safe on the catholic side of the peace wall.

IRA men nodded to show their respect towards me as they walked by me, into my home for the weekly meeting. Some of the men ruffled my hair and smiled as they made short conversation with me before stepping over the threshold to find out what needed to be done this week, to get us a step closer to our freedom.

My father was the head of the IRA. An extremely important figure for many Irish people. He was a role model for the young rebels of Ireland who dreamed to be in his position.

My father didn't get to the top easily, but who does? His hard work eventually paid off and he got to where he wanted to be. Being the head of the IRA is probably the hardest job in the world, and I know my father is not proud of some of the things he has done over the years. However I have never seen someone believe so passionately about anything in my life. Every member of the IRA is devoted and hard working, which you have to be when the English are on your arse every second of the day.

It is mostly men in the IRA however, there are a few women, including me. My older brother Patrick is in it and my younger brother Michael is showing a keen interest at the age of six. However he'll have to wait until he is eighteen until he is an official member, although he can assist on some missions when he is a little bit older.

I could feel the air begin to grow cold so I made my way inside to help my mother make tea and sandwiches. When I made it into the kitchen, Kate and Siobhán, our neighbours, were already helping my mother so I decided to make my way into the living room where the meeting was being held.

Not every IRA member had to attend this meeting as it was just a weekly plan making one, but the house was still packed to the teeth.

When I walked into the living room I noticed straight away how many people was crammed in one room. Men were lined up against the walls and occupying every seat in the room.

When I closed the door behind me my father and the rest of the men looked towards the source of the noise but immediately relaxed when they noticed it was only me. John, a high ranked member of the IRA, who was like an older brother to me stood up and offered me his chair beside the window. I smiled, taking his kind offer and flopping onto the comfy seat. John stood behind me, his six foot three frame towering over the chair as he placed his large hands on the back of it.

I looked around the room taking in all of the familiar faces as they concentrated on my fathers words. I stopped when I realised I didn't recognise a man at the back of the room. He had thick brown hair and chiseled features, his lips were plump and pink and his eyes were sparkling in the best kind of way. He had his muscular arms crossed across his chest as he nodded along to whatever my father was saying.

"We have a new member today, lads." My father announced.
"His name is Cónan McMahon and he's come all the way from Kerry to help us fight. Cónan come here to me, lad."

The boy I was looking at earlier uncrossed his arms with a small grin on his face and made his way up towards my father.

"Tell us about yourself, Cónan" My father requested with a smile on his face.

"My name is Cónan McMahon. I'm from Dingle in County Kerry and I'm nineteen years old. I believe in a free Ireland, and I am willing to die for my country. I will do whatever it takes to get our six counties back. I come from a long line of freedom fighters, my father was Aaron McMahon." Cónan said the last bit with a prideful tone. Everyone, including me, gasped when he said who his father was.

Aaron McMahon was the head of the 32s, another republican group who's aim was the exact same as the IRA's, this made the IRA and the 32s good friends. They were always there to help the IRA out when we needed it and we were always there for them. Aaron McMahon was tortured by the UVF for republican information and when he wouldn't give them what they wanted they shot him dead.

"Any son of a 32 man is welcome here." My father said honestly. There was a hum of agreement in the room.

"Now, Cónan doesn't know the area, the places he can and can't go. Saoirse and John will you spend the night showing him around, please?" My father asked as John and I nodded our heads. We would show him the area at night as less people were around so it would be easier.

"We got a tip off that the British soldiers are doing a raid at eleven o'clock tonight, it is seven now so Saoirse and John show him around now and be back by eleven because we'll need all our members to fight these fuckers off. Have your balaclavas and guns with you just incase of emergency."

Cónan, John and I began to make our way out the living room door, my father kissing my forehead and telling me to be careful before I made it out. I went to the kitchen to tell my mother where I was going and she kissed my head, the same as my father.

I made my way out of the house first with John and Cónan directly behind me.

"Where should we go first?" I asked John, shoving my gun into the back pocket of my jeans and my balaclava into the pocket of my hoodie.

"How about the other side of the peace wall?" He said with a grin.

"No fucking way." I said in a strong voice punching him hard in the bicep.

"We're called rebels for a reason aren't we?" Cónan said from beside me. His accent was extremely strong and I had to concentrate to figure out what he was saying. He had a wonderful lilt in his words that I could listen to all day, it nearly made me ask him to say more.

I turned around to face him, seeing him push his gun further into his black jeans, with a smile on his face. He had a dimple in his left cheek and it instantly made me want to poke my finger into it. He was close enough so that I could see what a wonderful shade of hazel his eyes were, they sparkled under the light of the street lamps, they were hypnotising.

"I like your thinking Cónan." John interrupted my drooling session and began to walk ahead of up to the gate in the peace wall leading to nothing but sure danger.

I looked back up at Cónan wondering if he was sure about doing this. He winked at me and walked ahead, catching up with John beside the peace wall, and I swear, despite living one of the most dangerous lives in Ireland, that moment right there was when I thought my days were over, all because a boy winked at me.