chapter one

It’s amazing how tedious something you enjoy can be when you’re waiting for something exciting to happen. Now I was finding was one of those moments. I was in my art class, normally my favourite subject, but today I couldn’t concentrate at all because today was no ordinary day. My brother Josh is coming back from his two year world tour with his band ‘Ocean aimed rockets’. We had so much catching up to do I mean he hadn’t seen me since I was 15 for god sake. Besides he said got me a present in every country or island he went to.

 The whole of my school (well from yr 11 and up) are coming to the welcome home party for the band, even Xavier, josh’s super hot ex-best friend, is coming. I think this will be the first time they will have spoken since they had a big fight 3 years ago. He probably still thinks of me as the 14 year old girl who used follow the two of them around like a puppy. But I’m really not like that any more I’m more mature and a whole lot better looking than I was then.

  So then plan for tonight was simple. 1. Find an absolutely killer outfit with all the co-ordinated accessories, 2. See my brother and the boys from the band, 3. Show Xavier how grown up I am now.

  My train of thought was broken by the sound of the lesson bell, great just one more lesson and it was shopping time! Okay now all I had to do was sit through an hour of ignoring the guys in my chemistry class, as they all have they the mental capacity of an amoeba and are more childish than the snotty little toddlers you get at nurseries.

  I spent the duration of the lesson doodling on the back of my chemistry book and checking the clock like every two minutes. The lesson just seemed to go on and on, I was starting to wonder if it would ever end when there was a knock at the door. Instantly the whole room went silent, and stared at the person at the door. It was Josh. He was back early and at my school.

  I didn’t even think, I jumped of my stool and ran to hug him. He picked me up and spun me round like he used to when I was little. Miss Williams coughed behind me and began to tap her foot on the hard marble floor (or fake marble id never really checked). Josh put me down, turned to Miss Williams and smiled, josh had a killer smile and he knew could get anything he wanted just by smiling.

  “Long tome no see Miss, how are you today” she tried not to smile but she couldn’t help it “I don’t suppose as it is Friday and it is a very special occasion you could let Gee here out a little early to catch up with her brother?”

  “Fine, just this once you can go Georgiana, but only this once.” The entire class was staring at me green with envy and at Josh with respect, every one loved Josh and I mean every one (well not Xavier but I’m sure that could change) just had a way with people. It was like he was in control of their emotions or some thing. I knew why I respected him but that’s because I was his little sister and he was always their to look after me, even while on the other side of the world he’d call to see if I was okay and if there was anything he could do.

I grabbed my bag, textbook, jacket and flew out the door; Josh followed and gave the class a joke salute as he left. We went through to the car park when I realised that I didn’t actually know what he drove now. I grinded to a halt at look back at Josh to ask him what car was his but he’d already realised why I’d stopped and was pointing to the far corner at a little red car.

“Yeah I know new car. And no I’m not letting you drive it yet” how did I know he was going to say that.

“Damn okay. What did you buy?”

Chevrolet Camaro”

“Convertible?”

“Of course”

We reach the car then and what a car it was. It was gorgeous. Now I don’t pretend to no anything about cars but I do know what look good and that car did. I jumped into the passenger seat while josh put my bag in the boot, then we were off.

Josh took me to the little coffee shop round the corner from where we lived. We sat in the corner by the window which every one knew was my favourite spot and practically no one sat there in case I came in. Our town was small, almost everyone knew each other and there was very rarely any body new here. So really it wasn’t surprising that every on knew my seat. But they may also have known because it was impossible not to know me. I mean every body saw me where ever I was I’d just walk into the room and heads would turn. I pretended not to notice but secretly I loved it. Knowing that all eyes were on me, knowing that I was the head of the school, leading light, an angel amongst the insects. I know it sounds unfair or vain but I spent the whole of my younger living in my brother’s shadow totally invisible till now. He was just so perfect that every one liked him and every one was friends with him. Until he left all I was, was josh’s kid sister not different and not special at all. But now we were on a par both of us stood out, I was finally as recognised as he was (only I had to work a little harder than he did for the recognition).

So there we are in my corner drinking coffee and catching up on the old times, when Josh gets a call he glances at the screen to see whose calling and then answers it. I can’t hear what the other person was saying but what ever it was Josh liked it he was smiling and nodding then josh said “yep, tonight my place 8 o’clock” so they were talking about the party. After a few more seemingly random comments josh said his fair wells and hung up.

 “Who was that?” I ask trying to sound passive about it.

“On the phone? That was Conrad he’s coming tonight.”

“Okay, when did you meet him?”

“I think it was inCaliforniahe was travelling for the year”

“Oh okay” it was decided I had to met this Conrad the mysterious traveller.

“Anyway new subject new subject what have you been up to recently?”

“Studying, partying you know the usual”

“What year you in now any way?”

“Year 12 you know A levels the bit you skipped” I said mockingly but he knew it was just a joke.

Josh laughed and suggested that we left if I wanted to go shopping and set up before every one turned up.