Chapter Ten: The City of Axis (Tea Time and Revelations Included)

Eva was right when she said that the capital city of the Nexus was a bit like New York, Los Angeles, London and Gotham City from the 1966 version of Batman combined. But that was an understatement.

If it was a real city in the entire world, it would put all the rest to shame and then some. I don't even think that Boston could ever compete with what I was seeing as I left the train station and took in the sights and sounds of this fast-paced yet humbling city.

Everything was so electrified yet rustic- a mix of the antebellum era for the Southeastern USA with a bit of modern-day technology: no cars that caused any smog or pedestrian problems but a few trams that ran on solar and magnetic energy; building that were as tall as the ones back home but had the Roaring Twenties sense that could be described as sensual and passionate; and people that came from all walks of life, going as far as the late 1700s up to the millennial period.

"Wow," I breathed, crossing the slightly-busy street while a police officer smiled and made sure that the waiting tram would let others cross without delay. "This is...I don't think I'm in Pleasantville, Boston, or even Kansas anymore."

It felt so intimidating, yet so realistically open and bright. Squaring my shoulders, I inhaled deeply and moved forward with the planned tour: a bit of window-shopping at a high-end department store that specialized in the retro-centric furniture and decor from the 1950s, enjoying some historic lessons at a museum that showcased life in America (that led up to the current time period), having a Parisian-themed picnic lunch at the spacious town park (which gave the same Central-Park vibes as the original did in New York City), and even allowed myself to get some new clothes at a menswear store (thanks to the monetary gift left by one of the seraphims when I arrived in the Nexus).

In between each adventure, I saw more and more people who seemed to know my name and my backstory- all of them nodding and wanting to meet with me for some function or other: a lunch date at a high-end restaurant, a private party at Pacifica Vista, a winter-themed masquerade ball somewhere in the rich part of the Nexus, and other events that seemed to be going on where anyone and everyone was invited to.

I'd bet that my mother wouldn't allow that to happen, her plans for a party only consisting of guests that were of her caliber.

All the same, the capital of the Nexus had a sensual vibe that had everyone coming back for more and more.

***************

"Hezekiah!"

I snapped out of my reverie just as I was leaving the movie theater to see the smiling faces of Salgiel and Catia, the latter holding a garment bag and a shoebox. "Hi," I greeted the duo. "What's up?"

"Louis said that you'd be here enjoying the sights and sounds," Catia replied. "I bet you're making some connections so far."

"If only you knew. I have enough invites to all sorts of parties and galas all throughout the Nexus that it's a bit daunting. But yeah, I am going to start allowing myself to enjoy what's in store here."

The angel smiled softly, nodding. "It's all about taking it one step and one day at a time," he assured me, "but you can start making some connections right now."

I cocked my head to the side. "How's that?" I wanted to know.

"God and Lucifer, did you read their letter yet?" Catia asked me.

I nodded. "Read it on the first day that I got here."

"Well, you'll soon know the reason why you're here when you meet them for tea," the cherubim commented. "And  they've been wanting to meet you for the longest, as you already know by now."