forty-three

Chapitre quarante-trois
━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

May of 1942.

Isra Moreau and Hans Zeigler resided on the Garnier property for a span of two months. Isra was resolute; she rejected the notion of being smuggled to Switzerland, choosing to remain in France. This land was her home, and she refused to be driven away by the Germans. Instead, she and Hans struck an agreement with the Garnier family. In return for shelter, they offered their labour on the farm. Hans diligently began working to secure funds for their future, determined to pave the way for a better life for them both.

During that time, Dr. Muller accepted the Garniers' proposition to escape to Switzerland. Feeling devoid of prospects in France, he sought an escape, and they were eager to assist him. Isra recalled their emotional farewell. Although she and Dr. Muller hadn't formed a particularly close bond, the memory of his aid during their desperate times remained engraved in her heart. She held immense gratitude toward him, despite never growing overly attached.

The evening air held a chilly breeze as Isra and Hans stood outside the farmhouse, waiting for Dr. Muller's departure. The moon hung low in the sky, casting a gentle glow over the countryside.

The night was draped in shadows as Dr. Muller prepared to leave the farmhouse. Isra and Hans stood with him in the quiet courtyard, the only sounds being the soft rustling of leaves and the distant murmur of the night. Mr. Garnier, a silhouette against the dim moonlight, stood nearby, ready to accompany him to the rendezvous point.

The air held a sombre weight as Isra extended her hand to Dr. Muller. "Thank you," she said, her voice sincere. "For everything."

Dr. Muller clasped her hand gently. "You take care of each other. I hope you find the peace you're looking for."

Hans extended his hand, offering a firm handshake. "We'll never forget your help. Be safe, Manfred."

The sound of footsteps approached, and Mr. Garnier appeared. "It's time," he announced quietly.

Dr. Muller turned to Isra and Hans once more, just barely smiling. "Goodbye," he said simply. "I hope our paths cross again under better circumstances."

They stood there, observing as his figure disappeared into the night alongside Mr. Garnier. Saying farewells had become an unbearable routine. It felt so definitive, so sorrowful. Isra's grip on Hans' hand tightened, an unspoken acknowledgment passing between them. They were once again left on their own.

Their life had settled into a comfortable rhythm. Activity commenced at daybreak. Isra and Mrs. Garnier collaborated on breakfast and the four of them shared the meal together. Post breakfast, Isra tended to Klaus before joining Hans to assist Mr. Garnier on the farm. Meanwhile, Mrs. Garnier cared for Klaus during their absence.

She gathered a wealth of knowledge about The Garniers. Yves Garnier had served in the Great War, whereas Celine had spent her entire life in Le Chambon. Yves, originally from Marseille, relocated to the area after the war concluded and married his wife. He purchased the farm for both of them. After the war, he wanted to live away from the noise and chaos, and Isra couldn't fault him for that.

Isra found comfort in the labour—harvesting eggs, mastering the art of milking cows, and gathering hay. Though demanding, the toil brought her a sense of fulfillment. She relished the bustling tasks, cherishing the gratification of productivity, especially knowing that at day's end, she and Hans would return home together.

Mastering the tasks took her a considerable amount of time, but Yves, patient and skilled in teaching, guided her through it all. Meanwhile, Hans grasped the work effortlessly, adapting swiftly to the farm's demands.