2.Pain Of Rejection

__________________________________

Mumbai

Sharma Family

As the sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink, Jeevika's heart fluttered with anticipation as she awaited her brother Kartik's return from his trip. Yet, alongside her excitement, a sense of apprehension gnawed at her soul. She knew all too well the routine that would unfold upon his arrival - the lavish attention, the warm embraces, the loving words - all reserved solely for Kartik and Janvi, leaving Jeevika to wither in the shadows of neglect.

When Kartik finally stepped through the door, the atmosphere in the house shifted palpably. Their mother's eyes sparkled with adoration as she enveloped him in a tight embrace, eager to hear about his journey and showering him with affection. Janvi, their sister, joined in the joyous reunion, her laughter filling the room as she exchanged playful banter with Kartik.

Jeevika stood on the edge, feeling like she was always forgotten by her own family, especially her mother. This wasn't new to her; it happened a lot. She couldn't help but wonder why she never seemed to be noticed or loved the same way her siblings were. It made her doubt her own value and wonder why she couldn't seem to catch her mother's attention or affection, no matter how hard she tried.

Then came the crushing blow. Their mother declared, "All the family members are going out tonight. Don't bother cooking, Jeevika." For a fleeting moment, Jeevika dared to hope, asking, "Me too?" But her mother's response was like a dagger to her heart. "You are not a part of this family. Understand," she said coldly, before Janvi shot her a mocking glance and they all left, leaving Jeevika alone in the empty house.

Heart heavy with sorrow, Jeevika went about her duties at the hospital, only to find out that Gitika wouldn't be joining her that day. Disappointed she started going but she felt a tug on her hand. She turned around only to see Aadhya standing there her eyes brimming with Love and adoration.

Seeing Aadhya Jeevika couldn't control she scooped Aadhya in her arms and kissed all over her face. The whole corridor was filled with their giggles.

Returning home, exhaustion washed over Jeevika like a tidal wave. A headache pounded at her temples, and a fever burned through her veins, leaving her feeling drained and weak.

Her sister Janvi casually mentioned her headache to their mother, who responded with warmth and affection, offering to massage her head. Watching from the sidelines, tears welled up in Jeevika's eyes as she realized once again that she was invisible to her mother's love.

Hurrying to her room, she let her tears flow freely, consumed by the weight of her unrequited longing. Why was she always left out? What had she done wrong to deserve this treatment?Why was she always left out? What had she done to deserve this constant rejection?

Would her mother ever see her, truly see her, and love her as she longed to be loved?

As she cried herself to sleep, these questions echoed in her mind, haunting her dreams with the fear that perhaps her mother would never truly love her.

In the morning, Jeevika was feeling all feverish and weak. Just then her mother called ,

" You bitch you are still sleeping till now . Don't you have a little sense you know that I need my tea ."

Jeevika was not in a state to speak. She gathered all her courage and spoke " Mom I have a high fever . I am not on a verge to get up. "

Listening her Meera's anger reached on its peak. She shouted in anger, " This are all your excuses. Get up and cook right now."

Jeevika didn't have any energy left to argue. She gathered every ounce of energy and did her morning routine and went in the kitchen thinking about how lovingly her mother gave a massage to Janvi when she had a headache. And how she coldly reacted to her fever. She was continuously crying due to which her whole face was red. She quickly washed her face.

And started preparing tea . Suddenly her head started spinning and she collapsed on the floor with a thud.

Meera again shouted, " Where is my tea " . When she got no response she went inside the kitchen only to see Jeevika lying unconscious on the floor.

She paid no heed to her and started preparing tea and breakfast for herself and the other two children.

After sometimes Jeevika regained consciousness. Meera's callous indifference only added to Jeevika's pain , as she lay on the floor , ignored and forgotten.

She quickly retreated towards her room and Called Gitika for help. She knew Gitika and Aadhya were the only source of Care & love for her. Gitika was very much worried for her. So she decided to meet Jeevika once.

She entered Jeevika's house only to see everyone laughing and watching a movie. Meera saw Gitika entering So she asked in a venomous tone, " What brings you here early in the morning."

Gitika's anger was at peak but she calmed herself and replied, " Actually aunty Jeevi was not well so I came to check upon her. "

But Meera didn't pay any attention and started watching the movie. Gitika quickly left for Jeevika's room only to find her constantly shaking on the bed. She came near her and covered her with the blanket.

She also bought food and medicines for her. She made her eat a bit and gulp the medicine. Undeterred, Gitika tended to Jeevika, wrapping her in a warm blanket and staying by her side until she fell asleep, exhausted from the day's events.

As Jeevika slept, Gitika watched over her, her worry evident in the furrow of her brow. And as the day came to a close, Jeevika slept soundly, comforted by the knowledge that, despite her mother's rejection, there were still those who cared for her deeply.After sometime Gitika also fell asleep.

Soon it was evening when Gitika opened her eyes and saw the time . She was about get up when she saw Jeevika was still asleep. She slowly got up and left for her home.

_________________________________