The Hospital Room

Umeed woke up to the scent of a hospital room. This was NOT a new experience for her, considering her habit of fainting her way out of every situation. 

What was new, though, was that this time Umeed was not in control. The last thing she remembered was being interrogated by Pasha Sahab and Chachoo, 'Umeed, tumne khaanay main aakhir kya milaa dia?'. 

That's when everything clicked into perspective. 

In the excitement of cooking for her family, she mixed up the cornflour and baking soda - thus the vomiting. 

Did everyone else also faint? Did her whole family end up in the hospital because of her? What about Mimi - uski toh flight bhi thi..

Umeed's inner voice kept interrogating her, blaming her and making her guiltier than ever for her silly mistake and the overdramatic assumptions she associated with it. Her expression dropped as she sat up on the hospital bed, drowning in her own thoughts, when Farjaad entered. Her prince charming, here to save her from her thoughts yet again.

'Umeed, kya kar rahi ho? Layti raho, you aren't well!' he called out as he ran to her side. 

'Main theek hoon, Farjaad, I'm tired of laying down..' she whined, as Farjaad took a seat beside her and put his arm around her. That's when she realized, 'Farjaad, aap theek hain? You didn't faint? What about everyone else, are they all okay?'.

Farjaad chuckled at Umeed and her constant chattering, 'Umeed, tum toh bimaari main bhi kitna bolti ho'. Umeed furrowed her brows at him in return, so he continued, 'Mazaak kar raha hoon, you know I love your energy. Aur tum zyada tension mat lo, everyone is completely fine and waiting for you outside - tum toh theek ho na?'

Farjaad's words, paired with his soothing and full-of-love voice immediately calmed Umeed down as she rested her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms around his bicep. They sat there for a good few minutes, each one enjoying the warmth the other was radiating. 

'Farjaad, mujhe yaad aagaya tha - I used baking soda instead of cornflour, tabhi shayad..' Umeed broke the silence, looking down in embarrassment and fidgeting with Farjaad's arm.

Farjaad looked down at the sulking beauty resting on his shoulder and let out another laugh, 'Umeed, kuch nahi hota - everyone makes mistakes, hum dobara banaa lengay aur phir se sabko bulaa lengey.' 

Umeed held back a smile, Farjaad always had the perfect words to solve all her problems, but she insisted, 'Koi bhi nahi aayega ab meray haath ka khana khaanay..'

'Aayenge meri jaan, sab aayenge,' Farjaad caressed her back and did what he did best: turn his wife into a glowing, blushing mess.

The couple returned to sit in silence, enjoyed the other's company and spending some quality time together. Umeed and Farjaad's lives had always been no less than a rollercoaster ride, whether it was before or after they got married. However, these past few months, as Umeed's cafe was blooming and Farjaad's business was thriving, the couple had fallen into a rhythmic routine. They were leading a content life, managing family, work and love - everything was perfect.

But, what is 'perfect'? Amidst their fairytale, Umeed missed the chaos she would ensue with Haya-Sameer, she missed the sleepless nights she would spend with Niggo Jee, she missed the never-ending gossip sessions with Mimi, and most of all, she missed Farjaad's reactions to it all. 

As for Farjaad, he was living his dream life, but he felt Umeed's longing for change. He understood that his spontaneous, live-in-the-moment wife was growing tired of the routine. He wanted to change things up for her, but office hours gave him no room to take her on a honeymoon just yet. He was guilty - Sundays had become the only day Umeed could be herself, surrounded by everyone she adored. 

She was sick and admitted to a hospital bed, but Farjaad could see the spark in her eyes when the slightest bit of chaos entered Umeed's life. This Sunday, it was her cooking rendezvous that ended up in the hospital - Umeed Pasha's idea of interesting. As he admired the woman on his shoulder, the entire family rushed into the room, and he remembered why they were all here: Umeed's medical reports.

'Kya hua? Maa, Pasha Sahab, sab theek hai na?' Farjaad questioned as the entire family surrounded the couple, each person biting their tongue. Umeed looked up at Farjaad, seeing him worry for her made her forget all her pain and be grateful for the love of her life.

'Sab theek hai.. Ab sach much ka FARMEED aa raha hai!' Pasha Sahab announced, as the entire family broke into laughs and applause. 

Hearing this, Farjaad subconsciously tightened his hold on Umeed, hugging her as if he would never let go.

Umeed looked up at a pleasantly shocked Farjaad, tears welling in her eyes. She had just heard the best news of her life, better than winning the 20 million rupees, better than chai. She was so ecstatic that the pain of Farjaad practically suffocating her in his hold was non-existent. 

This was it. This was the change Farjaad and Umeed needed in their lives.