chapter one - newcomer ☀️

( 3RD PERSON - / JALII'S POV )

As Jalii watched her sister, Chani, from a distance, she picked up a little bit of the conversation she was having with the supposed Lisan Al-Gaib.

"I don't believe your the Lisan Al-Gaib." She said, her tone full with doubt. "But I want you to die with honor." She said softly, her eyes remaining still and sharp on the boy. She reached into her still suit pockets and pulled out a crysknife.

Jalii had immediately recognized the weapon that was pulled out. "This crysknife was given to me by my great-aunt." Chani said as she held out the knife to him. Jalii had immediately walked up and frowned, now speaking to her sister in Chakobsa.

"Stop. Why are you giving him the crysknife? You really think he deserves this much honor? We don't even know if he'll d-" She spoke, her words coming out fast as Chani stopped her. "I believe in him. Sure we don't know he'll die, but he deserves the reverence of this." Chani spoke, referring to the crysknife.

The outcast remained, his eyes filled with interest as if he understood the conversation they were having. Jalii scoffed as she folded her arms in defeat. She knew she had to respect her sister, as she was 3 years younger than her. She knew she had to watch her tone. She knew she had to speak to her with esteem, as it was accustomed in their culture. Right now, she had just simply rolled her eyes, a subtle way to hint that the was annoyed.

He had taken the knife, glancing at Jalii once more before walking up to the open space between the rocks. They had been waiting for him, as he was prepared to duel Jamis, their most determined and loyal fighter. She had watched from afar, her eyes still on the two.
"May thy knife chip and shatter." She heard the newcomer say, before beginning the battle.

Her expression remained still, as she anxiously watched, her eyes darting between the two. She had noticed the contrast between the fighting styles of the two. Jamis had fought more traditionally, his punches and swings were strong and heavy, while the newcomer's attacks were smoother and quick. She felt a sense of dread, as she watched the newcomer stab him in his lower back.

She called out, her eyes now wide. She froze, her hands dropping as she felt tears rush to her eyes. She couldn't believe it.. but it was tradition, so she didn't have much of a choice but to accept the death of her friend. She quickly wiped away her tears, walking up to the crowd who were now standing, and dropping to the floor, her eyes locked onto his. "Jamis.. wake up.. please. Jamis.."
__________

When the sun had been low, nearly setting, and their group was resting on some sand, just below a hill, Jalii had remained silent, yet on guard. She had been expecting something to happen, as the current moment felt like the calm before a dangerous and destructive storm. Her thoughts were filled with the face of her now dead friend. She had stuck with him, she fought beside him, she had talked to him, spent time with him.. and now he was gone.

She folded her arms, leaning against a large rock, as she took in the cooler air, her expression remaining unreadable and blunt. She looked to her left, as the newcomer and her sister remained next to each other, him sleeping. She scoffed at the sight, folding her arms as she watched him. He looked peaceful, and she felt that it was unfair she couldn't have that kind of peace. She was worried more about the sietch rather than resting for herself. She knew she was a good fighter; as her quick reflexes and resilience would prove her point.

Though, she had noticed an unfamiliar sound nearing, as she walked up the hill wearily and peered over the edge. She noticed some Harkonnens and their large ship which they travelled on. She quickly ran to the others, her eyes darting between them, warning them quietly. "There are Harkonnens. Stay alert". She said as she watched the newcomer wake up slowly. "And you. Wake up. You're supposed to be keeping watch too." She said bluntly, folding her arms. "I wasn't sleeping.." He said obliviously, his voice soft yet firm.

"Sure you werent." She replied, her arms remaining folded, as she looked him in the eyes, holding her sharp gaze, before turning away and hiding behind some rock formations with the others.

|| LATER ||

It was nightfall, and Jalii had been sitting on the top of a sand dune, her eyes moving over the large desert. She had been thinking, more so about the events that had unfolded earlier. She thought back to how he had killed Jamis with her great aunt's crysknife. It wasn't fair, she had let a complete stranger use their crysknife. She felt herself in conflict, regarding the strange boy. The "Lisan Al-Gaib".

She heard soft footsteps behind her, and as she turned around, she had met eyes with the boy. "Hey. I never caught your name.." He said, his gaze focused on her. "I never caught your's either." She said quietly, her cold voice beginning to sound occupied, as she turned away to look over the vast sandy plains.

"Im Paul." He said, offering his hand to her. She scoffed and pushed it away slowly. She didn't even want to look at him right now. She could only think about how he killed her friend. The one that she trusted, the one that understood her, the one that treated her like family..
"Jalani." She replied, her cold tone becoming more prominent and she kept her eyes down.

"I.. I still can't believe it. I know, our tradition doesn't allow yielding but.. I'll never forgive you for killing my friend.. my brother." She said, her eyes down as she bit her lip. "I didn't want to. I hope you know that.." He said quietly, before standing up. "But my goal isn't to kill people, no.. it's the freedom of your people." He said, his voice serious. Jalii had tried to listen for anything other than sincerity and trust in his voice, but she knew he was telling the truth. "There were other ways to prove yourself." She said, her voice shaking as she fought back tears. "I didn't have many choices. I don't like doing that.. its.. that was my first time ever actually-.." "You said you want to free our people?? Well, he would have loved to see the day." She replied harshly. Paul stood for a few moments, his eyes on her body. He inhaled deeply, his eyes filled with sorrow. "Goodnight.." He said before walking away slowly. "Hm." She hummed quietly in response, as she began to sob quietly, bringing her knees to her chest, hugging them. She had wished he was there so badly.. to soothe her. To comfort her. But he wasn't.
__________

CHAPTER END.

A/N;
hey, I don't know if this is any good so lmk.. 🥺
also im not sure how to make this less boring so leave some constructive criticism please!! 🙏