Chapter 23 - Behind the Veil

How bizarre it was. To humans, they were monsters that came from the shadows or other worlds. But what Myra had seen and experienced before the veil fell...

No, people didn't need creatures from myths, legends, fairy tales, and stories. There were many more terrible things, far from humanity, long before the veil fell. Who or what was a monster?

It was easy to hate. No matter who or what you were.

She saw that kind of hatred in Zane's glowing blue eyes. Staring at her in the darkness, he refused her help and preferred to drag himself further through the darkness.

Myra knew what it was like to be on fire and then go cold. She also knew the hot burning that drove you on like black coal drives a railway. But one day, even this coal burned out, and only ashes remained.

Silently, Myra followed the stubborn cat a short distance and, shortly after him, stepped into the embrace of darkness under the star-studded night sky. Against the sky with its drifting clouds, treetops of maple and beech trees stood out, and even some rock formations rose on this wild patch. In the distance, she could hear the sound of water.

"That's the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont..." Myreille murmured, her gaze following the cat's to the remains of an old Junkers Ju 88.

The wreckage had been partially burnt out, leaving only the charred remains of the metal structures and scattered debris. Large pieces of metal had broken off; some were lying around, and some were already overgrown with moss or vines. The aircraft's characteristic shape, with its twin-engine wings and fuselage, was still recognizable, but it was badly damaged and deformed. It was like the time of man: forgotten and already in the process of disappearing.

A gust of wind came up, rustling the leaves and bending the stalks under its invisible fingers. A few crickets chirped, and somewhere in the distance, a shapeshifter howled towards the moon. And then a growl sounded just a few steps ahead of her in the night—Zane, whose fiery anger would have been enough to light up the night brighter than the moon.

"Isn't it beautiful?" whispered a voice far from fear. "Evidence of a great time."

Myreille watched Casimir move like a shadow, past the cat, towards the figures emerging from the wreckage and the rustling hiding places in the thicket.