CHAPTER 7

The fever came upon you like a sudden storm, fierce and unyielding. Your body felt like a battleground, each movement a war waged against an unseen enemy. The thermometer beeped its verdict—a temperature far beyond normal, signaling a day lost to sickness.

Work was out of the question. The thought of even sitting up made your head spin, and so you surrendered to the embrace of your makeshift bed sheets, a cocoon against the chills that racked your body. Your phone, usually a constant companion, had succumbed to a drained battery, its screen dark and unresponsive.

In your feverish state, you managed a small victory—plugging the charger into the wall. But the silent mode remained active, a forgotten setting from a quieter night. As you drifted back into a restless sleep, the world outside continued without you, unaware of the small drama unfolding within the walls of your apartment.

Kotoha's concern grew with each hour of silence. She knew you to be punctual and communicative, your silence now a loud alarm in the quiet of unanswered calls. She sent texts, hoping for any sign of life, but the digital messages found no audience.

The day passed in a blur for you, a mix of sleep and wakefulness, punctuated by the dull ache of your body. It wasn't until the sky painted itself in hues of orange and pink that you awoke, a sense of disorientation gripping you as you reached for your phone.

💭 ''Shit....''

💭 ''I forget...to tell...Kotoha...ugh...''

The flood of missed calls and texts was overwhelming, a testament to Kotoha's worry. With shaky hands, you dialed back, the phone ringing once, twice, before Kotoha's voice filled the line, a rapid-fire of concern. The questions came at her like arrows, each one laced with worry. Your voice, hoarse and weak, could barely keep up with the barrage.

!!!

[On call]

"Y/n! Are you okay?'' 

''I've been trying to reach you all day!''

''Why didn't you answer?"

...

''Sorry...''

''I don't feel well...''

''My battery died...and my phone was on silent...''

''I must've fell asleep...''

''OH MY GOD! Did you eat anything??''

''Do you have medication?!!''

...

''No...I ran out...''

''Girl, tell me where you live and i'll bring something over...''

...

''No...that's not needed...I'll manage..''

''Girl I will slap you silly!''