⁰⁰| 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

24 August 2018

»»———— 𝑽𝑨𝑳𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑬 ————««

Ever since that day, nothing would be the same.

It all started with the rising tone in their voices, or the constant disagreeing until it turned into full on fights and finally an arrest. 

Watching your parents get taken away isn't easy, especially when you know that they're in the wrong.

I looked outside the window, long trees shielding the road from the sun. It's unusual for the sky to be so clear here, it's almost poetic. Signaling a new start, or as they say, the calm before the storm.

Me and my brother got sent to a boarding school, as our parents didn't want to give custody to anyone else within the family. So here we are now, inside a car that's driving kilometers away from the court where we last saw them. 

My brother didn't seem as affected by it as I was, considering he had more relationships than I did back home. Maybe he's just good at hiding it, or maybe he never cared at all. I looked over at him, blank expression and mindless scrolling through his phone. 

Was it really that easy? Letting go of everyone and everything, as if it never meant anything? 

Before I knew it the car came to a permanent stop and a man dressed in black opened my door. I stepped out and immediately felt the same comb in my stomach as the day when policemen came knocking at our door. I knew this feeling all too well.

Something bad is bout to happen.

The guard left my side, heading to the back of the car to collect our suitcases. I didn't bring much with me, part of me hoping this stay won't be long, part of me knowing not much of it belongs to me anyway.

I looked ahead at the enormous school that awaited. The wind rustled through the fallen leaves, and even on this late summer day, trees around here have already shredded their leaves.

"Val are you coming?" my brother's voice brought me out of my thoughts and I replied with a kind smile. 

As we got closer I could see the intricate detail on the building. It seemed like a place made for royalty not just riches. A place where we'd belong some would say, but deep down I know none of this could ever be ours, not rightfully.

"Nicolas, Valerie, welcome to Caledonia Grove Academy. I am Paul Stewart, the housemaster in charge of leading this school." a middle aged blonde man greeted us as we arrived. "I will show you around and make sure both of you are settled in and comfortable. Please follow me."

The front door was opened for us, revealing two long staircases that met at the first floor. A chandelier hung in the middle of the room, with trophy cases lining each wall. This place seems more like a palace than a boarding school, with a red carpet lining the stairs where we ascended.

"As you can see," Paul began, "this building is a living testament to the past. It served as a palace to many Scottish royals with its grand architecture and richly adorned halls bearing witness to centuries of history." Paul gestured to few of the many paintings that hung over the walls. 

"Sadly after the passing of late king Richard the Second, almost half a century ago, the palace was reconstructed to serve different purposes whilst maintaining it's cultural aspects. The changes were necessary to adapt to the evolving needs of the time, but they couldn't erase the grandeur and significance of this historic site." He faced us then came to a halt.

"This way leads to your dorm rooms, each consisting of a bedroom and an en-suite bathroom. The dining area is on the ground floor at the end of the left hallway and classes do not start until a week from now, so there's no need to get into details for that. For any further information an email will be sent to you regarding schedules as well as activities. Any questions?"

"No, thank you." I said offering a polite smile.

The guard from before stood in front of my room, holding the door open for me. Just as the door closed behind me I could finally lose the fake smile.

The room was quite admirable, with windows that let the sunlight cast warm rays across the hardwood floor. The furniture didn't really match the whole aesthetic of the school, it was more modernized.

It didn't really matter to me though. Our stay here could be compromised any moment. The uncertainty of our situation overshadowed any concerns about the decor, the people and the subjects we'd have here.

My phone vibrated in my hand, a momentarily effect that made my blood run cold. Relief washed over me as I looked at the email address from the school, instead of our attorney.  

The past two weeks felt like I was walking on eggshells, every email bearing bad news and trials with even worse outcomes. Each notification seemed to bring another layer of misery, all because of their wrongdoings. But that's the price I have to pay as their daughter, I am their reflection after all.

Isn't that what family is all about? 

☙❧

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞

Just a heads up, historically nothing is accurate and that building is all made up. Also the story is set in 2018, this is not a flashback!

Thank you for reading!

xx