- EPILOGUE -

TEN MONTHS LATER

TEN MONTHS LATER

High-pitched screams, sugar-tainted air, and furry costumed creatures fill my vision everywhere.

Nova tugs on my hand with urgency, her hair now cropped to her ears—just the way she's always wanted it.

"Come on!" she cries. "You guys walk so slow."

I huff, glancing over my shoulder to see Brandon wobble after us with our unfinished Goofy drinks and gift shop favors.

"Slow down, bug," I pant. "We're going as fast as we can."

"I'm the one carrying all our shit. What's your excuse, princess?" Brandon says.

I feign annoyance at the name, but I can't help the smile that follows. "Just be glad she has zero interest visiting the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or you'd probably be carrying a glittery ball gown, too."

I practically hear Brandon shudder. "Counting my blessings, alright."

Nova leads us to the Haunted Mansion line. Except it's been converted to the Nightmare Before Christmas edition, which only happens during their holiday season.

"Ugh, not this one again," Brandon groans.

I turn around and grab his arms, which look absolutely delicious in his black leather jacket. "You're the one that told her she could enjoy this ride as many times as she wanted. Remember? You created this monster. Now deal with it."

"I'll deal with you tonight," he teases, putting the bags down and wrapping his arms around me.

As we stand in line, Nova humming This is Halloween, I can't help but meditate on my gratitude.

No, life isn't perfect.

Rumor has it that Brandon's inside guy is set to kill Ken any day now in prison—just the way I ordered it, which keeps me up at night sometimes.

Bella and Cate had to relocate to hide from their father, who still manages to evade law enforcement.

Brandon only got released from prison a week ago and is having a hard time reorganizing his gang. He's under the federal radar even more now.

I'm having trouble keeping up with college curriculum while raising a young girl who may not want to be a girl for much longer.

But we're all here.

Adapting, evolving, restarting.

That whole memento mori thing.

As far as I'm concerned, life is the way it's simply meant to be.

WC: 370

TOTAL FINAL COUNT: 39,992

(phew 😮‍💨 )