The Thylacine Part 1

Mild climate Tasmania approved a Haven for the thylacine and roughly 700 years ago science of recovery finally began to show among the thylacine population, but this is when a new set of visitors came to the continent from across the sea century the black death caused hundreds of millions of people to lose their lives primarily in Europe near east and north Africa, but by the late 15th century, the population was full rebound and in western Europe there was a growing demand for spices from Asia especially India trade routes were long slow and expensive so Europeans along the Atlantic coast got an idea Knowing that the Earth was round, it was hypothesized that it would be possible to sell straight out into the Atlantic and hit the Indian subcontinent directly the Portuguese, Spanish French, Dutch, and English began the European age of discovery, in which huge parts of the world were eventually colonized controlled and changed irrevocably by the early 17th century. The Dutch had set up colonies on the island of Java and what is Indonesia living in the port town of Batam was a Dutch navigator named William Jensen in 1605 he sailed from Batam to the western coast of New Guinea then he crossed south into the Gulf of Carpinteria. He had no idea that the Gulf of Torres existed, and so believed he was mapping an unexplored region of the island of New Guinea. He made landfall at the river being the first European to set foot in his crew 320 km of the coast and made landfall several times, but they quickly discovered that they would not be able to settle there on the various expeditions 10 of his crew were killed by the aboriginal peoples. The land was deemed uninhabitable and Jensen and his crew moved on. He called the land New Zealand after the Dutch province of Zealand but of course the name didn't stick and it was given to a pair of islands further east he would have the Java and put Australia on the map Miss labeling it as part of the island of New Guinea and this is how it remained for quite some time 1788. The British arrived to Australia, but instead of just passing through, they decided to colonize, but the English didn't really view Australia as a very favorable place to live as such England established penal colonies on the island for criminals to be sent to as punishment for their crimes in Europe in 1804 a captain named David Collins, sealed from Sydney to Tasmania, where he established the city of Hobart, he was sent to settle the island because the French had been eyeing it and the English wanted it for themselves when he arrived in Tasmania he noted that the island was abundant and wildlife so they were mostly smaller versions of Australian animals. There were large numbers of wallabies and Tasmanian emus, and the French had made mention of a tiger living on the island "we have not seen any quadrupeds other than a little tiger [qu'um petit tigre] which ran away when we pursued the savages in the woods out people...noticed the traces of quadrupeds in different places some of which resembled deer and other dogs found.... The upper jaw-bone of a large animal of the carnivorous tribe heard the cry of a beast of prey a beast of prey... a quadruped the size of a large dog of a white color spotted with black"* When the English arrived, they were skeptical, but they began to see and hear signs of an unknown animal in the forest in the animal kingdom "I have made no acquisitions. The pheasant is here, but I have not been able to shoot one of the beasts of prey of the French I have never seen nor heard anything if accounts from Port Jackson, and some person who have been here can be credited a quadruped, not quite so pleasant as the kangaroo to live in the neighborhood of is also an inhabitant to van Demons land traces of a carnivorous beast have been found in many parts like a leopard or panther, but I do not hear that any person belong to the settlement has seen the animal itself liability in his voyage in search of para in 1792 weeks of being here and being disturbed by the howlings of a beast that came pretty near that at another time, a quarter prepared the size of a large dog sprung from some bushes it was whitish spotted with black and the wood. They found a large upper jaw and vertebrae of an animal certainly carnivorous, I suspect, however, that it may be only a variety of the wild dog or rather wolf of this country" I am engaged all the more upon business, examining the five prisoners that went into the bush. They informed me that on 2 May when they were in the wood, they see a large tiger that the dog they had with them went nearly up to it, and when the tiger see the men which were about 100 yards from it, it went away. I make no doubt, but here are many wild animals which we have not yet seen it"*
It's estimated that they were only about 5000 thylacine on Tasmania by the time Europeans arrived and due to their nocturnal habits, they were a very rare site. The first stylist seem to be shot by European was in March 1805 a detailed description was made by William Patterson, but the file scene was still described as a hit or two unknown animal. The skin was sent to Sydney and then onto England in 1808. The species was formally described by modern science and commonly referred to as the Tasmanian tiger or the Tasmanian wolf scenes thrive in Tasmania on the presence of smaller prey they were endurance hunters with a tendency to track the animals they hunted so while the emus were extremely fast, the scenes would hunt them over long distances, waiting patiently for the perfect opportunity as the European population began to grow in the island they needed to hunt the local wildlife for sustenance, but the emus were fast and guns alone were not enough to decimate the emu population. The Europeans brought their hunting dogs to the island and only 30 years later the Tasmanian emu was extinct. The European population continue to grow on Tasmania and by 1900 170,000 people were living on the island With massive population growth and expansion huge pressures on the natural environment. Sheep brought Tasmania to supply people with wall, meat and milk and huge expenses of forest were cleared to create pastor land for the flock of sheep because the European settlers were custom to having foxes on their farms back in Europe the thylacine was quickly viewed as a species of concern to farmers in the region because of it similar appearance, and this was going to be the thylacine's final battle