O N E

August 30 2004, Amstelveen The Netherlands

"Honestly we're all really thankful we get to perform tomorrow at Queens day here. But yeah I think we're all a bit nervous." I smiled modestly. "Actually only Kaitlyn is." Flynn. the drummer of my band said with a cheeky grin and I rolled my eyes. "I could understand, she's the youngest." The young woman who interviewed us said. And I smiled at her. I watched her write down everything we told her.

Knowing this was going to end up in the local newspaper I got a bit nervous, what if the wrong words slipped out? "One last question," the woman started and we all looked up at her again. "Where do you hope to see yourself in a few years, let's say three." She asked and we all showed a 'thinking face'. Dylan spoke up the quickest. "I hope somewhere in a studio in LA." He said jokingly. And we all chuckled a bit. "Definitely a studio," I said, unsure about the LA part. "And I hope signed with a good record label, we're still figuring out how those work but yeah I hope we're at least somewhere." I grinned. She wrote our answers down and thanked us for our time. Lastly a man with a photo camera told us to pose and took a picture of us.

After they left the venue I went to get a sip of water. I put the bottle to my lips but didn't get the chance to take a sip as I heard a man call my name "Kaitlyn Delvaux!" I heard him call. "coming!" I called back. I placed the bottle down and went back to the stage to see a man of stage technology with a piece of paper. "We have to sound check for tomorrow, your amplifier was having problems could you test your guitar? I think I fixed it." I nodded and quickly walked up the stairs onto the stage. "See if it works." The man called from the other side of the small stage as he turned on the amplifier. I strummed my guitar a few times until I heard myself play loudly. Me and the man looked up at the same time and he did a thumbs up.

I packed my guitar and went off stage, I sat down next to Dylan as Flynn and Robin went on stage to sound check their instruments. "Are you nervous?" I asked Dylan. "Nah, I know you are tho." He gave me a cheeky grin again. "Just a little, I mean the whole town is going to stand in this grass tomorrow. People from school and stuff." I said with a bit of concern in my voice. "Whatever, the only people really coming are like people older than forty with their kids, and maybe a few teenagers who are going to do drugs in the back of the venue." I slightly nodded as I agreed with him.

"They host this pathetic festival every year with small cover bands coming, we're lucky we can play an original. But the people who would really care for a good experience just take a train to Amsterdam." I smiled a bit "that's true actually" I said agreeing with him and a short silence fell. "Besides," He spoke again and I looked up at him. "Like I said to the interviewer, this is only the beginning. In a few years you have something to be nervous about." He said excitedly. And I raised an eyebrow and laughed at him a bit. "Just imagine, our name in stadium lights at big arena's!" He said turning fully to me. "Hot girls screaming my name, cause I'm the hottest bassist of the world!" He said jokingly mimicking the girls he is talking about. I laughed at his excitement. "I think that would be the most unrealistic part." I said grinning at him and he gave me a soft punch against my upper arm.

"Alright, wrap it up!" We heard the men of backstage call and Robin and Flynn walked up to us again. "This is gonna be so good!" Flynn said grinning and rubbing his hands together. "You're not nervous at all?" I asked. "Maybe a little but you know how it goes, the moment i play it all goes away. It's like I'm in my own world." He responded and Dylan agreed. "I don't know how it goes actually, I've never performed before." I said, concern reappearing in my voice. "Trust us, it will all be fine." Robin said calmly and I smiled at him. "How can you be so calm!? We're performing an original song!" Flynn almost yelled. "Cause we're performing for hundreds of people in a mid life crisis with their children." Robin answered barely showing any emotion. "Told you" Dylan grinned at me and I smiled back.