Chapter 16: Another day at school...

Vy was tired today. This was never a good thing as being exhausted made her susceptible to illness, the doctor said. But she'd been feeling under the weather for a few days, unable to regain full energy though she rested as often as she was able. Jessica had commented on her paleness  and told her daughter to take it easy.

Vy had been quick to reassure her mother that she would be just fine. However, today, she was wishing that she'd stayed home from school. By the last hour, she felt as if she might collapse at any moment. It had been a long time since she'd felt so weak. She'd even dared to hope that she was becoming strong and capable, just as she'd always prayed she could be. The thought that perhaps her years of being ill were not over made her want to cry. She'd felt on the verge of tears all day and couldn't wait for the dismissal bell to ring so she could retreat to her bedroom and wait for nightfall when she would find refuge in Arqan's company.

Vy was so intent on getting home that she didn't even bother to wait for Jofin and Larnie when she left her final class of the day.

"Vy, wait up!" she heard Jofin call from behind her.

Vy turned to see her friends running to catch up with her.

"Why didn't you wait for us, Vy?" Jofin asked. "Is everything alright?"

Larnie placed a hand on her friend's arm. "You don't look well, Vy."

"I don't feel well," Vy admitted. She said no more, afraid that if she spoke another word the tears that had been threatening all day might finally spill over.

"Come on, we'll walk you home," Larnie said, putting her arm around her friend's shoulders. Jofin was quick to go to the other side.

The distance from the hallway to the school yard wasn't far, but to Vy it felt as if it was the longest distance she'd ever walked. By the time they got outside she felt as if her knees might buckle at any moment.

"Oh, God, Vy," Jofin exclaimed when she stumbled.

Vy could feel tears filling her eyes. "I really don't feel good."

"Don't worry, we'll help you," Larnie assured her. "Here, put your arm around my shoulders and one around Jofin's too. We'll support you."

Vy was feeling so ill that she had little choice but to comply. All she wanted to do was get home. Now if they could just get out of the school yard....

Vy gasped when she felt someone shover her from behind and she felt sharp pain on her arms from the morning class.

"Hey!" Jofin exclaimed as laughter erupted.

Vy felt dazed with exhaustion, but she could see one of the boys who'd bullied her the most out of anyone racing back to his posse, pointing at Vy and laughing.

"One little shove and she can't even stand up. Maybe you need a walker. You know, one of those ones the old folks use?"

He proceeded to parade up and down, hunched over like an old man, hollering at Vy the whole time, much to the delight of his friends.

"You all are evil!" Jofin yelled at them. "Pure evil!"

"Stop, Jofin," Vy pleaded, ashamed at the fact that tears had begun to stream down her face. Larnie positioned herself in front of Vy like a shield, continuing to lead her away from the bullies.

"They're not going to get away with that," Jofin declared as she took her place on Vy's other side to support her once more.

"There's no need to get in a fight about it. Just help me home, please."

The rest of the trip was made in silence whilst Vy held the pain on her arm and barely had the presence of mind to thank her friends when they arrived at her house, so exhausting had the walk been. She was grateful she hadn't brought her bike to school as she would have been forced to leave it behind. God only knew what sort of prank the kids would have played if she'd left it there.

Jessica sent Vy right to bed, telling her that she was to rest until dinner. Vy drifted in and out of sleep only to awake feeling even more tired than before. She sat at the dinner table with her family, but ate little. Jessica sent her back to bed before dessert and Vy was happy to oblige.

She slept until the rest of the household had fallen asleep. She woke with a start at nearly midnight. Vy struggled to a sitting position, disoriented before realizing that she was going to miss seeing Arqan if she didn't hurry.

***