Classification of the Aes Sídhe

(A/N: This is not necessary to read the book, but it's here for those who'd like to come back to reference certain titles used throughout!)

*Notes from early copies of The History of Ríenne, believed to be written by Ronan O'Cuinn

Aes Sídhe, the (infml. sídhe):

An ancient, immortal race that predates humanity. While most have human form, they wield otherworldly powers. There have been attempts to class them by their abilities, though it does not encompass all of the aes sídhe and there can be overlapping between each category. The aes sídhe are also known as the fair folk or the highborn.

Bean Sídhe (sg. bean sídhe):

A subclass of the aes sídhe that can see into the future, most often pertaining to the arrival of death. Seeing one is considered a bad omen.

Cat Sí (sg. cat sí):

A subclass of the aes sídhe with the ability to control the mind and create illusions. They can take the shape of a human and a wildcat. Most avoid humans, but seem drawn to fire.

Elemental Sídhe:

All of the aes sídhe are related to nature (most often the earth) but some are tied to a specific aspect of it more closely than others, such as the sun, moon, earth, sea, and stars. They specialise in correlated elemental abilities and may be referred to by that element (for example, sun and/or fire sídhe).

Luchorpáns (sg. luchorpán):

A subclass of the aes sídhe that can create food, drink, and physical objects out of nothing. Many are friendly and have a love for alcohol and celebrations.

Merrows (sg. merrow):

A subclass of the aes sídhe. They live in bodies of water; rather than legs, they have the tails of fish. The women often seek out human men: there are many speculations as to why, but none are confirmed. They will drag victims into the water, likely to Natír.

Púcaí (sg. púca):

A subclass of the aes sídhe that can take the shape of any animal or man. It is speculated that some can also sense danger before it comes. Púcaí are best identified by their eyes, which glow gold when they take other forms. They are wild and known tricksters.