Chapter Nineteen *

I froze as I struggled to take in the words which had just come out of Desdemona's mouth, “No...”I murmured in shock.

Desdemona nodded as tears spilled out of her eyes, she looked broken and defeated, the same feelings which I shared in the pit of my stomach. I just couldn't believe it: Evangeline had been...attacked.

“Can...Can we see her?” I asked slowly.

It took Desdemona a few moments to catch her breath and speak, “They're currently operating, she's in one of the labs, but there's a waiting area...” She started.

I nodded, “Let's go,” I replied firmly.

We were about to set off when I noticed that Cinder was still leaning against the door-frame staring into space. I placed my hands on his shoulders and forced him to look me in the eyes, “Cinder...Come on Cinder we can go see her,” I encouraged.

He finally snapped out of it and looked at me, his face was white and his eyes had turned red, “I can't...I need a minute, I'll catch up with you,” he replied hoarsely.

I bit my lip, “Do you want me to stay with you?” I asked.

He shook his head, “I have to be alone for now but I'll meet you there,” he said numbly.

I nodded and set of with Desdemona, part of me wanted to rush back and wrap Cinder in my arms, to hold him until everything was right again, but I knew that he needed space and I had to leave him to it.

As we hurried towards the labs, Desdemona couldn't stop crying, but I didn't blame her. I was pretty shaken up myself, how on earth had a rogue managed to get close enough to her and hat did that mean for the rest of us?

“I'm so worried, the surgery is complicated, thankfully the assailant missed her heart, but the wolfsbane and the stake...What if she doesn't make it?” Desdemona fretted.

I grabbed her hand was we walked, “Desdemona, the monarchs have extra power remember? The top surgeons are working on here and once she's out you and Velvet can make tons of healing remedies, she wouldn't go down that easily,” I reassured.

Desdemona swallowed and forced herself to nod, “You're right Ebony, she wouldn't, she's be okay,” she whispered.

I squeezed her hand, “Of course she will,” I replied. I was trying to reassure myself as much as I was her. I just hoped that my words weren't as false as they sounded and that she really would be okay.

When we reached the lab, two males were guarding the door. One of them I didn't recognise, he was dressed in a white robe and Cinder's words echoed through my head, he's wearing white which suggests that he's part of the Lucien Association.

I tried not to let my horror show on my face but I felt sick to the stomach. If the Lucien Association was here did that mean that Evangeline's attack now made her unsuitable to reign as queen?

“May I have you names please?” The white clad male asked.

I cleared my throat, “Desdemona Devereux and Ebony Noire,” I confirmed.

The man checked a list which I hadn't originally spotted, “Desdemona Devereux, the wife of Shade Schwarz,” he identified. Desdemona took a shaky step forward and the guard nodded his approval. I moved after her to follow, but he pressed a hand on my shoulder.

“Not so fast, it doesn't say that you're part of the family,” he challenged. I resisted the urge to punch him on the nose and desperately tried to think of a way to gain access.

“I um...” I turned to the other guard hoping that it would be someone I knew. Luck was on my side, it was Petrick.

His eyes lit up in recognition and he placed a hand on the other man's arm, “It is okay, her royal highness has welcome her into the Schwarz coven and she has proven herself loyal, she and her royal highness are close,” he replied.