Chapter Seventeen

Sophie climbed into the carriage beside Lord Markham, her heart still fluttering from the exhilaration of her dance lesson and the unexpected warmth she had glimpsed in her husband's eyes. As the carriage lurched forward, she smoothed her skirts, acutely aware of his presence beside her.

The silence stretched between them, broken only by the clatter of hooves and the creak of the carriage wheels. Sophie stole a glance at Lord Markham, her curiosity piqued by the pensive expression on his face.

"Thank you for accompanying me today, my lord," she ventured, her voice soft but steady. "I hope my progress met with your approval."

Lord Markham turned to face her, his gaze intense and searching. "You exceeded my expectations, my lady," he said, his tone sincere. "I must confess, I had my doubts when I first learned of our arrangement, but you have proven yourself to be a woman of great resilience and determination."

Sophie's breath caught in her throat at his words, a wave of emotion threatening to overwhelm her. She had spent so long feeling unworthy, undeserving of the life she now found herself in, that to hear such praise from the man she had once feared was too much to bear.

"I... I am grateful for your kind words, my lord," she managed, her voice trembling slightly. "I know our marriage was not one of choice, but I am determined to be a good wife to you, to bring honour to our family name."

Lord Markham's expression softened, and he reached out to take her hand in his. Sophie's heart skipped a beat at the unexpected contact, the warmth of his touch sending a shiver down her spine.

"Sophie," he said, his voice low and earnest, "I know we have had our differences, but I want you to know that I am committed to making this marriage work. I may not have chosen this path, but I will do everything in my power to ensure your happiness and well-being."

Sophie's eyes widened, her breath catching in her throat. She had not expected such a declaration from her husband, and the sincerity in his words touched her deeply.

"Thank you, my lord," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "I... I want that too."

As the carriage pulled up to the townhouse, Sophie's thoughts were still consumed by Lord Markham's unexpected declaration. She barely noticed the footman opening the carriage door, offering his hand to assist her down. Lord Markham alighted first, then turned to help Sophie. His touch was gentle, yet firm, and Sophie felt a flutter of something she could not quite name.

They had scarcely crossed the threshold when a flurry of skirts and excited chatter announced Emily's arrival. The young woman's eyes sparkled with joy as she rushed towards them.

"Oh, Sophie! Peter! I have the most wonderful news!" Emily exclaimed, her cheeks flushed with happiness.

Sophie exchanged a curious glance with Lord Markham before turning her attention back to Emily. "What is it, Emily? You seem positively radiant."

Emily clasped her hands together, a wide grin spreading across her face. "Captain Smythe has asked for my hand in marriage, and Father has given his blessing!"

Sophie's eyes widened, a mixture of surprise and delight washing over her. "Oh, Emily! That is wonderful news! Congratulations, my dear."

Lord Markham stepped forward, a warm smile on his face as he embraced his sister. "I'm so happy for you, Em. Captain Smythe is a lucky man."

As Sophie watched the siblings, a wistful feeling settled in her chest. She was genuinely happy for Emily, but a small part of her couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to marry for love, to feel the same joy and excitement that now radiated from her sister-in-law.